Register Now
Kane99

More character customization options please

I don't get why character customization for a lot of games feels lacking. I just want a game where I can make my guy look almost identical to me. So, It got me thinking, why don't more games do what NBA 2K/WWE 2K series does with their custom face uploader? In those games, you can upload your face and put it on a custom character. Of course the results aren't great by any means, but it's a start for sure. I'd love to be able to upload my real face, put it on a character that looks like me, and then play in that world as me. It'd be so cool. 

But, most games these days limit it to skinny avatars or some with just a little weight. What if I want a fatter dude running around in RDR2? We're at a point in gaming, that devs could easily find a way to input a players face. I imagine with next gen, face models are going to look brilliant. I just wish they would give us better character customization for more games. 

I'm totally with you on this one. I hate pre-made character or being limited a set number of presets. I love my characters to have that unique touch which gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment. It also makes me feel more of a personal connection to the character as well. Fifa used to have a feature of taking a picture of yourself and uploading but EA being the crappy company they are, did away with it.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

The way thing are going with many games a lot of characters, skins and the customization is the options that would be future rvenue for some of the games. 

You mean like studios will just start to charge for those customization options? I can see clothing items being charged for, that's kind of to be expected. But I hope they don't charge for anything else. I don't need special clothing items for my avatar. I just want to be able to make myself in game form. 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, Kane99 said:

You mean like studios will just start to charge for those customization options? I can see clothing items being charged for, that's kind of to be expected. But I hope they don't charge for anything else. I don't need special clothing items for my avatar. I just want to be able to make myself in game form. 

Already started. They give hero for free or through the spending of some virtual coins etc and they make money off customizaation. 

One of the best I encountered was Dragons Dogma and it pretty much let you customize everything. Facial details, hair, tattoos, scars, gender, height, weight, apparent age, many of which even has gameplay effects. I haven't really seen a system like that before or since and it's an example worth following. Cyberpunk sounds like it might be the one to present a new lever of customization to the concept, allowing the customization of apparently everything, including one's... eh, you know... junk.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:18 AM, skyfire said:

Already started. They give hero for free or through the spending of some virtual coins etc and they make money off customizaation. 

Oh I know that. Fortnite is big when it comes to customization, and oftentimes to get the good stuff, you gotta pay. It's the same for gun skins in games. 

I just wish we were back to the day where you could open new clothing items in game instead of having to spend cash for them. 😞

You know what annoys me? The fact that in some MMORPGs, they gender lock classes. I like playing as a male character since that's my gender. In addition to being unable to fully customize characters nowadays, we have to play a certain gender in classes. I sincerely hope this trend is reversed soon.