Register Now
Kane99

UK politicians call for action against PS5 and Xbox Series scalpers

Hell yes, I hope they actually do this stateside at some point, because I feel like this has been the worst it's ever been in terms of console launches. I mean, we've had to deal with scalpers every generation, and every time a cool gaming device comes out, the NES Mini for example. 

But idk, it seems as if this is occuring lots more this generation than past ones. But, that's just me, I may just be forgetting how much scalpers tried it in past gens. 

Anyway, according to this Video Games Chronicle article, UK politicians are starting to take notice, and are looking to stop people from using bots and such to secure multiple consoles, as well they want to make it a law. They stated this: “prohibiting the resale of gaming consoles and computer components at prices greatly above Manufacturer’s Recommended Retail Price.”

You can read about this article below. 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/uk-politicians-call-for-action-against-ps5-and-xbox-series-scalpers/

UK politicians are really doing something! I like where this is going and I do hope it catches on in other jurisdictions. This sickening process needs to stop but I wonder what is their motivation to remedy this issue? Is it that their kids started complaining? Or are they being affected in other sectors as well?

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

UK politicians are really doing something! I like where this is going and I do hope it catches on in other jurisdictions. This sickening process needs to stop but I wonder what is their motivation to remedy this issue? Is it that their kids started complaining? Or are they being affected in other sectors as well?

Maybe it's because a lot of the people in politics today are youngins and are gamers. Maybe they couldn't get a PS5 or Series X because of scalpers. 😄 

But seriously, this is a good step into the right direction. Now if only the stores selling these consoles, took more measure to stop scalpers, I think we'd be fine. Stores like Wal-mart, best buy, target, etc, need to implement ways to stop the ability to use bots and to purchase multiple consoles under one account. I believe, for now, these stores should only allow 1 console per customer. I really think that's the point we're at. 

3 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Maybe it's because a lot of the people in politics today are youngins and are gamers. Maybe they couldn't get a PS5 or Series X because of scalpers. 😄 

But seriously, this is a good step into the right direction. Now if only the stores selling these consoles, took more measure to stop scalpers, I think we'd be fine. Stores like Wal-mart, best buy, target, etc, need to implement ways to stop the ability to use bots and to purchase multiple consoles under one account. I believe, for now, these stores should only allow 1 console per customer. I really think that's the point we're at. 

We had a similar discussion about this in another thread and we were trying to come up with different ways to combat this issue such as captcha among other things but there are ways to get around these methods. It would still provide a deterrent to most scalpers as it would make their activities time-consuming and inefficient and they'd definitely start losing profit.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, skyfire said:

Finally. someone taking action against such type of the hoarders. I think this was meant to happen. I hope other countries follow suit and get rid of such type of the middle men who do the damage to the consumers and affect business. 

My sentiments exactly!

On 12/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, Shagger said:

This is a very good thing. Glad to see this kind of action being taken against this.

We want it to be more widespread though...Only then will the scalping practice become too inefficient and costly for these scalpers.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:37 AM, killamch89 said:

We had a similar discussion about this in another thread and we were trying to come up with different ways to combat this issue such as captcha among other things but there are ways to get around these methods. It would still provide a deterrent to most scalpers as it would make their activities time-consuming and inefficient and they'd definitely start losing profit.

Yeah, thing is, the stores need to implement ways of stopping this, and it seems as if they're not really trying, at least from what I see. They probably don't care, because they're still making their profit. Now, if only the US could do something similar.

Scalping should be made illegal, isn't it the same in the US but not sure if its a federal or state law and what the scope is. The start should be to make sites that sell scalped items at vast profits liable for the price difference, sites like amazon and eBay have the means to prevent scalped items being even listed. I suppose allowing a small profit should be included in the equation perhaps 15% to 20% but no more.

When I look down the ebay listings page for PS5's I think of a word that begins with the letter C, and rhymes with "blunts"

48 minutes ago, Empire said:

Scalping should be made illegal, isn't it the same in the US but not sure if its a federal or state law and what the scope is. The start should be to make sites that sell scalped items at vast profits liable for the price difference, sites like amazon and eBay have the means to prevent scalped items being even listed. I suppose allowing a small profit should be included in the equation perhaps 15% to 20% but no more.

When I look down the ebay listings page for PS5's I think of a word that begins with the letter C, and rhymes with "blunts"

Well, 5 to 10% is what is proposed and I think that's fair for both the sellers and buyers. Also, I've definitely seen the prices for the PS5 and it's going for like $1500 upwards which is insane!

Insane, just far more than that. Doesn't help that allot are buying to resell then again if that gets approved that will get stopped from the other topic discussion. Yet Government is slow with that and can take a year in affect to be fully added. 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Insane, just far more than that. Doesn't help that allot are buying to resell then again if that gets approved that will get stopped from the other topic discussion. Yet Government is slow with that and can take a year in affect to be fully added. 

With Covid restrictions in place and the use of online marketplaces have skyrocketed so it may come into effect far sooner.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

With Covid restrictions in place and the use of online marketplaces have skyrocketed so it may come into effect far sooner.

hopefully it does, they will act on it as fast as they can 🙂 end of the day if people are not silly they would buy the items at a good price and sale rather then spending $500 if not more on damn silly crazy people. 

All we can do from this point of time is wait to hear more as it enrolls 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

hopefully it does, they will act on it as fast as they can 🙂 end of the day if people are not silly they would buy the items at a good price and sale rather then spending $500 if not more on damn silly crazy people. 

All we can do from this point of time is wait to hear more as it enrolls 

As we said in other threads, the problem is lack of discipline so instead of continuing with what they have right now and upgrade later for a reasonable price. Instead, they need to have the newest thing right now and will pay almost anything to get it and then complain about the money spent.