Register Now
Kane99

Gamestop vs family owned

When it comes to buying video games from in-store locations, do you tend to go to the usual Gamestop, or do you prefer to go to those mom & pop style gaming stores, usually stores run by an individual or a family. I wouldn't mind having my own video game store, but not anything to do with Gamestop, as I wouldn't want to deal with the people running the company. So, if I were to ever start my own store, it would be my own, and not part of Gamestop. 

Anyway, where do you prefer to purchase your games between these stores? Or maybe you like other big name gaming stores out there. 

Usually the mom & pop shops have more games to choose from and often times cooler stuff. I wish there was more gaming stores around me. I think we still have a gamestop around here, but I think the other gaming stores have closed, or they're further away from where I live. 😞 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Usually the mom & pop shops have more games to choose from and often times cooler stuff. I wish there was more gaming stores around me. I think we still have a gamestop around here, but I think the other gaming stores have closed, or they're further away from where I live. 😞 

Well covid certainly played a part in shutting down most stores so finding retro games for a decent amount of money has become incredibly difficult and eBay is a no-go.

For retro games, finding them online is almost the only option. Whether it's eBay, CL, Amazon, or some other secondhand reseller site is irrelevant. There's a Vintage Stock in the mall here, and they sell some retro games all the way back to Atari 2600. I've bought a lot of games from them. There's another place here, but their selection is microscopic, and their prices are a slap in the face. For example for a PS2 they want almost $300. I can get a PS5 for just a little more than that. And that PS2 comes with one controller, no memory card, no games, and just the hookups. I've found countless PS2's on CL for $50. And they all worked perfectly, had multiple memory cards, multiple controllers, and more than a dozen games. FOR $50. Fuck you Slackers.

46 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

For retro games, finding them online is almost the only option. Whether it's eBay, CL, Amazon, or some other secondhand reseller site is irrelevant. There's a Vintage Stock in the mall here, and they sell some retro games all the way back to Atari 2600. I've bought a lot of games from them. There's another place here, but their selection is microscopic, and their prices are a slap in the face. For example for a PS2 they want almost $300. I can get a PS5 for just a little more than that. And that PS2 comes with one controller, no memory card, no games, and just the hookups. I've found countless PS2's on CL for $50. And they all worked perfectly, had multiple memory cards, multiple controllers, and more than a dozen games. FOR $50. Fuck you Slackers.

PS2 for $300?! They should rename themselves to scalper stock in the mail because those prices are ridiculous. 

If I had a choice to go out and buy a game or whatever the case, no matter what I buy I always support the family-owned business and keep them going 🙂 Big main company has far more life and able to live, well maybe not after the covid. However digital downloads are killing them both. cheap, fast and get the game downloaded.    

49 minutes ago, Empire said:

If I had a choice to go out and buy a game or whatever the case, no matter what I buy I always support the family-owned business and keep them going 🙂 Big main company has far more life and able to live, well maybe not after the covid. However digital downloads are killing them both. cheap, fast and get the game downloaded.    

In addition to that, Gamestop are a very scummy company in terms of their practices and if it's possible, I avoid them like the plague. I don't care if they were recently acquired by Microsoft but most of the horrible people are still working there.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

In addition to that, Gamestop are a very scummy company in terms of their practices and if it's possible, I avoid them like the plague. I don't care if they were recently acquired by Microsoft but most of the horrible people are still working there.

Never brought any items from them anyway LOL

On 1/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, The Blackangel said:

I go where I can find a game I'm interested in. I really don't care one way or another.

Seriously, the most important thing is that I got the game which I'm looking for wherever it's sold. If it's at the old mom's and pop's shop, it's cool, if it's in another big store, it's also very good too. 

I actually got 3 AC games (PS3) at GameStop for a grand total of $1.78. They weren't in any kind of bundle. They were being sold individually. So I snatched them up. And I was able to pay for them with exact change that was just floating around in my purse. Seven quarters and three pennies. Boom, here's your receipt, enjoy your games. Typically I only use my PS3 to play PS1 games, but I like having the option. I haven't played PS2 in a couple decades, so I see no reason to even hook one up.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I actually got 3 AC games (PS3) at GameStop for a grand total of $1.78. They weren't in any kind of bundle. They were being sold individually. So I snatched them up. And I was able to pay for them with exact change that was just floating around in my purse. Seven quarters and three pennies. Boom, here's your receipt, enjoy your games. Typically I only use my PS3 to play PS1 games, but I like having the option. I haven't played PS2 in a couple decades, so I see no reason to even hook one up.

I actually didn't get enough gaming time with my Playstation 2 as it was carted away by my cousin. You did get a good deal for the 3 AC games you were able to purchase at the GameStop.