Register Now
StaceyPowers

Great games with weak openings?

In all honesty, I would have to give a lot of my favorites this nomination. So many games from the old systems open up really boring. It's hard to even get into them at all. But if you can push through the first hour or so then the game gets to be something you enjoy the hell out of.

FF8 is a great example of this

27 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Skyrim and FF8 are two very glaring examples of very tedious openings but once you get past that, they hook you in and you can't stop playing them. I should know because I have played FF8's and Skyrim multiple releases.

Skyrim opens with an attack from a Dragon moments before someone was about to cut off your head. I wanna play the first 20 minutes of every game you've ever played to understand how that qualifies as boring.

16 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Skyrim opens with an attack from a Dragon moments before someone was about to cut off your head. I wanna play the first 20 minutes of every game you've ever played to understand how that qualifies as boring.

The dragon attack never felt like you were in any real danger. I mean if you stood outside for 20 minutes, you'd still be alive. To me it just felt pretty dull.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:53 AM, killamch89 said:

Skyrim and FF8 are two very glaring examples of very tedious openings but once you get past that, they hook you in and you can't stop playing them. I should know because I have played FF8's and Skyrim multiple releases.

I don't really think that Skyrim fall under that option of game openings with a boring beginning.