Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you struggle to keep up with the storylines of some games?

Sometimes I really struggle to keep up with what is happening in a game. In some cases, it is because the developer has either failed to fill in all the gaps, and/or did so in a non-obvious way (I’m looking at you, Bethesda and BioWare). Other times, I think there is just so much sensory input that I am having a hard time processing it all. What about you?

Both @Patrik and @StaceyPowers have been referencing open word games in this thread, and honesty, I think that's a little unfair because these types of games by their nature get can't tell their stories in the same purposefully structured and deliberately paced manner a more liner game can. There are open world games that make it work, but they usually do so by barring of side activities and side stories from the main story in a very rigid manner and telling a less complex story that's easier to relate to. So I admire game companies who create open world games that do try to blur those lines between side quests and main story a little and try to tell a more challenging story.

2 minutes ago, Shagger said:

these types of games by their nature get can't tell their stories in the same purposefully structured and deliberately paced manner a more liner game can.

Ah, actually, it isn't that--it's literally just the stories of the side quests in some of these games I have a hard time following. For example, the quest triggers, and the game assumes you read something you didn't, and proceeds. Or you do read the thing, but someone left out a key detail, and you can only find it in the quest instructions in your journal/quest menu.

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

Ah, actually, it isn't that--it's literally just the stories of the side quests in some of these games I have a hard time following. For example, the quest triggers, and the game assumes you read something you didn't, and proceeds. Or you do read the thing, but someone left out a key detail, and you can only find it in the quest instructions in your journal/quest menu.

Can you provide a more specific example? It's just that, to me, it sounds your describing what's simply a very badly designed game.

Personally, I do not struggle but at times I do get lost on what is next to be done if I'm doing the story for the first time. One time I was stuck and after a restart of the missions I got it right away. After 10mins working it out. 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Sometimes I really struggle to keep up with what is happening in a game. In some cases, it is because the developer has either failed to fill in all the gaps, and/or did so in a non-obvious way (I’m looking at you, Bethesda and BioWare). Other times, I think there is just so much sensory input that I am having a hard time processing it all. What about you?

Personally, it only happens to me whenever I'm not really focused with the particular game I'm playing. So, the struggle starts from within me and not the game per say.