Register Now
Patrik

Gaming PC Handhelds, why do they even exist?

I'm sure lot of you came across something similar to this :

Now, the funny thing, is that most of these rely on integrated GPU's when it comes to gaming (sometimes from intel or sometimes from AMD), the most decent integrated GPU that exists now can't even perform like GTX 750Ti, a GPU from 2014, yet, these are being sold for almost 1000$ !!.

Why do this exist even if it's that weak and why don't people buy something else that's cheaper and capable of gaming, or just laptops for gaming instead, 1000$ is more than enough for a med tier gaming laptop.

Yeah, for $1000, you could probably buy a decent laptop to run games. This thing is going to boil in your hands if you play intensive games. 

Only people I see buying it, are people who want something like this for gaming. Hell, I bet you could buy one of those cheap custom handhelds to get your fix of retro games, as I can see this thing being great for retro games. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, for $1000, you could probably buy a decent laptop to run games. This thing is going to boil in your hands if you play intensive games. 

Only people I see buying it, are people who want something like this for gaming. Hell, I bet you could buy one of those cheap custom handhelds to get your fix of retro games, as I can see this thing being great for retro games. 

these can't even work when it comes to retro gaming since they all come with windows 10 that doesn't support old games, and i don't think that the hardware inside it is compatible with running older systems as well

On 2/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, Patrik said:

these can't even work when it comes to retro gaming since they all come with windows 10 that doesn't support old games, and i don't think that the hardware inside it is compatible with running older systems as well

You'd be surprised. The Winmax 2 is a very capable machine. You should also check this out:

A lot of these handheld PCs can do a lot. Just don't expect them to be cheap. But then again, when you have an item like this, it's only going to be purchased by enthusiasts and people who can afford them. 

I wouldn't mind owning one though. 

31 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

A lot of these handheld PCs can do a lot. Just don't expect them to be cheap. But then again, when you have an item like this, it's only going to be purchased by enthusiasts and people who can afford them. 

I wouldn't mind owning one though. 

Yeah, I was looking at the price too but they are expensive. Costs the price of a budget gaming laptop basically - I think I'll sit this dance out.

The only company that bothers making handheld gaming devices anymore is Nintendo, and after the extreme success they're having with the Switch, I don't see any reason why they would change anything up. With Asus at gaming phones, and tablets are getting more powerfull for gaming. It's not slowing down. 

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

You'd be surprised. The Winmax 2 is a very capable machine. You should also check this out:

i really love watching Lowspecgamer videos, but we both don't agree about a point, playing on the lowest possible graphics isn't my hobby unfortunately, that's why i prefer delaying gameplays than playing games by downgrading them to a previous generation :(

25 minutes ago, Patrik said:

i really love watching Lowspecgamer videos, but we both don't agree about a point, playing on the lowest possible graphics isn't my hobby unfortunately, that's why i prefer delaying gameplays than playing games by downgrading them to a previous generation :(

We know and I agree, it's not going to be my primary Gaming PC either but I'd love it as a back up that I can take with me anywhere. Though to be honest, it's pretty expensive.

19 hours ago, skyfire said:

Raspberry Pi is going to disrupt the space if more and more people adopt it for low cost. 

Rasperry PI has some ways to go as it's core functions are quite basic and it needs to be able to run more advanced software. I like the project so far but it only matches up to extremely barebones PCs.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, killamch89 said:

Rasperry PI has some ways to go as it's core functions are quite basic and it needs to be able to run more advanced software. I like the project so far but it only matches up to extremely barebones PCs.

Yes it is meant to take over small devices and not some big gaming devices though. I think at the most they coming into handheld market would be fun. 

On 3/3/2021 at 2:56 AM, skyfire said:

Yes it is meant to take over small devices and not some big gaming devices though. I think at the most they coming into handheld market would be fun. 

Funny enough, the Ryzen PC Handheld I discussed earlier is gaining a lot of popularity and is projected to sell really well. We need more competition in the handheld space that Nintendo has had an iron grip on for so long.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:16 AM, skyfire said:

Steam deck would surely change the market and now I am sure even the new brands may come in after this.

Yep, it's the only thing that's gonna change my opinion toward gaming handhelds (pc), otherwise, i'd always still think that they are overpriced junk