Register Now
Kane99

New Harry Potter Game Will Allow Transgender Characters

This is probably old news by now, but the new Harry Potter game that is coming out, called Hogwarts Legacy will allow you to customize your voice, body type, gender placement etc. 

I'm all for this. I welcome more games where you can customize every detail about your character. It's why I wanted options like this in RDR2 and even Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk has those types of options, but it's very limited. 

I always try to make myself in game, so a fat dude with a beard. But most games I see don't give me such an option. It's usually skinny or semi chubby characters. A character creator like what all those wrestling games have, would be huge in most games today I think. And adding the ability to make your character any way you want, is cool. More games need to do this I think. 

What do you think? You can also read about this news here - Bloomberg

This sounds like a rather good idea. The extended customisation options don't harm the setting or the canon that keeps being added to, either meta or via additional works such as Fantastic Beasts. I doubt I'll be buying this game so it doesn't matter to me, but I'm never one to balk at options being given to people in games they've got their eye on.

So after the Transporter, we'll have the Transpotter? Sorry couldn't resist.

The whole idea that in order for people to enjoy a game it needs to represent them is bunk.
I mean if I was represented in a game, I'd probably run away and try to find another game where the player character doesn't resemble me the least bit.

That said I think the more customization options the better. Cyberpunk's character creator is quite lacklustre and the whole transgender aspect of it seems like an afterthought, instead of the game being designed with it in mind.

54 minutes ago, m76 said:

So after the Transporter, we'll have the Transpotter? Sorry couldn't resist.

The whole idea that in order for people to enjoy a game it needs to represent them is bunk.
I mean if I was represented in a game, I'd probably run away and try to find another game where the player character doesn't resemble me the least bit.

You're a white, straight male, what on earth do you mean "IF" you were represented in a game? You're not in the ignored and often discriminated social minority here, so what right do have to criticize representation in media? Having race, religious and LGBTQ+ representation in a video game, or any other media for that matter, doesn't hurt you, especially when it's a mere option, but just for minute try to understand what it means to for those that are a part on those discriminated minorities. Being recognized, respected and vindicated by mainstream media is a great thing and anyone who has a problem with needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and realize they themselves are the one with the problem.

As is may be obvious, I'm all for this, especially when it's family friendly franchise like Harry Potter. I believe kids being exposed and educated to such ideas is far better for them that parents trying to "shield" them from it. Still, I can't help but laugh at the irony given that J.K Rowling is transphobic bitch.

10 hours ago, Shagger said:

You're a white, straight male, what on earth do you mean "IF" you were represented in a game?

And how utterly shallow you have to be to think that's all there is to a person? Or if I reverse the question, how utterly shallow you think trans people are that all they need to identify with a character is for the character to be also trans?

Skin color and/or sexual orientation are superficial characteristics. I judge characters in games by their personality and deeds. That type of representation matters.

You're not in the ignored and often discriminated social minority here, so what right do have to criticize representation in media?

Says the person who obviously didn't even fully read my post. So yeah now I feel ignored. Not because of my group status, but because I have a slightly different view. Different viewpoints are much more important than different skin colors, because one actually fuels progress through discussion, the other is a meaningless superficiality.

And had you read the rest of my post instead of knee-jerk reacting to the first half of it, you'd have seen that I have zero issues with having the choice in game, I even criticized CP2077 for not doing it very well.

Having race, religious and LGBTQ+ representation in a video game, or any other media for that matter, doesn't hurt you, especially when it's a mere option,

There has never been a game that allowed to change the race of the character but then excluded some "marginalized" group. And religion deserves no protected status whatsoever. As no matter how I respect them as people, I'll never respect their ridiculous beliefs. If beliefs would be inviolable that would mean the end of progress and discussion.

And you didn't address the question I raised. "The whole idea that in order for people to enjoy a game it needs to represent them is bunk" Again, I might be a white male, but given the choice, I prefer not to play as a white straight male in any game.  So by that standard I assume Trans people are complex people too, and they might not need or even want to play characters that have the same characteristics as them.  When you say "they need this" you are degrading every trans person, making them out to be shallow and  hung up on superficiality.

And finally, to drill it in. I have no problem with having the option in games. I take issue with people who say things like "Well, now finally trans people can also enjoy games" You are obviously ignorant of how degrading and vile of a statement that is.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, m76 said:

And how utterly shallow you have to be to think that's all there is to a person? Or if I reverse the question, how utterly shallow you think trans people are that all they need to identify with a character is for the character to be also trans?

Skin color and/or sexual orientation are superficial characteristics. I judge characters in games by their personality and deeds. That type of representation matters.

Says the person who obviously didn't even fully read my post. So yeah now I feel ignored. Not because of my group status, but because I have a slightly different view. Different viewpoints are much more important than different skin colors, because one actually fuels progress through discussion, the other is a meaningless superficiality.

And had you read the rest of my post instead of knee-jerk reacting to the first half of it, you'd have seen that I have zero issues with having the choice in game, I even criticized CP2077 for not doing it very well.

There has never been a game that allowed to change the race of the character but then excluded some "marginalized" group. And religion deserves no protected status whatsoever. As no matter how I respect them as people, I'll never respect their ridiculous beliefs. If beliefs would be inviolable that would mean the end of progress and discussion.

And you didn't address the question I raised. "The whole idea that in order for people to enjoy a game it needs to represent them is bunk" Again, I might be a white male, but given the choice, I prefer not to play as a white straight male in any game.  So by that standard I assume Trans people are complex people too, and they might not need or even want to play characters that have the same characteristics as them.  When you say "they need this" you are degrading every trans person, making them out to be shallow and  hung up on superficiality.

And finally, to drill it in. I have no problem with having the option in games. I take issue with people who say things like "Well, now finally trans people can also enjoy games" You are obviously ignorant of how degrading and vile of a statement that is.

At what point did I say "they need this to enjoy games"? Exactly, never. What I was asking you contemplate is what it means to people within these marginalized and all-to-often prejudged social minorities to be recognized and vindicated by mainstream media, two completely different things. If it makes you feel better I agree, people don't need to be represented to enjoy a game, but that is not what representation is about and that's what's wrong with what you said. You appear to think that people are crying out for diversity and inclusion in mainstream media because they need that to enjoy it and connect with it, and that really is "bunk". We both know that isn't necessary to connect with characters and stories, you said so yourself, so why assume that's why people want to have diversity and inclusion? 

As for. Cyberpunk, I see that more as an aesthetic thing rather than the player defining traits of character. I haven't played the game yet, but as far as I know, interactions with NPC's aren't directly affected by the "aesthetic" choices the player makes downstairs. So, I actually agree with you, maybe they should have went a little deeper into it, but I never really recognized that as anything more than aesthetics, so it was a bit of a non-issue for me.

Edited by Shagger

Why does this even matter in a game like this? Sex doesn’t seem important for this kind of game, it’s not like we’ll be seeing genitalia, and all a game needs to do is allow true freedom to design your character to how you look right? This title is annoying, not a big deal & most transgenders would probably just pick the preferred sex and design an ideal character in their eyes. Now if this was a Sims game, I could see significance in this statement.

If a game doesn’t restrict certain characteristics/apparel to a sex, we don’t need to praise it unless Sex holds a major significance to the experience, this is nothing new

10 hours ago, Empire said:

Why does this even matter in a game like this? Sex doesn’t seem important for this kind of game, it’s not like we’ll be seeing genitalia, and all a game needs to do is allow true freedom to design your character to how you look right? This title is annoying, not a big deal & most transgenders would probably just pick the preferred sex and design an ideal character in their eyes. Now if this was a Sims game, I could see significance in this statement.

If a game doesn’t restrict certain characteristics/apparel to a sex, we don’t need to praise it unless Sex holds a major significance to the experience, this is nothing new

It's not about the genitalia, it's more about outward appearances of your character. If someone is trans, it allows them to make their character in their image. Most games don't give such options, or at least not enough options yet. 

It's about giving the player as many options as possible too and that's awesome. I want to be able to customize my characters anyway I see fit. Some people want to design a character that matches them. Some don't, and that's cool too. But I see no issues with games doing this more often, because it means more gamers represented.