Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do games let you switch off choices sometimes?

To customize the game to how you're more used to playing. Some games have a control system that can match the same style of another, but are by default different. You can then change the new one around to match what you're used to. Your fingers could be subconsciously trained to work in a certain manner which would then make it next to impossible for you to play a new game. And some features may make a game unplayable for the gamer. But you turn that one feature off, and the gamer is now all aboard for the game.

I have several cheats for RDR2, but the drawback is that if you turn one on, then you won't be able to save in story mode with it on. And turning it off, would undo any progress you had made during the time it was on.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I noticed an option to turn off/automate all choices in a game last night, and thought it weird. What is the appeal of such an option?

My only guess is for people who are not interested in the story and just want to skip cutscenes and conversations anyway.

For me that's the only reason to play games. If it has no convincing storyline I'm out.

I love choices, all styles of decision mechanics. The Life is Strange style can certainly be frustrating, especially in the most recent one where you can choose to oppose something and end up doing it anyway. Weak.

I'm a giant fan of Detroit: Become Human, but a massive improvement would been choices that lead to avoiding certain sequences entirely, such as the protest and running away. I know that they're vital parts of the story's progression, but I'd like to see a game go "And nothing else/big happened. Everything stayed the same." without it being a "bad" ending or character death/Game Over, or an ending at all. It can totally turn into a Slice of Life game on that character's side of the story! What if we got the choice to not touch Markus's owner's son at all or restrain him instead of knocking him the hell out? Things like that.

8 hours ago, Empire said:

I love choices, all styles of decision mechanics. The Life is Strange style can certainly be frustrating, especially in the most recent one where you can choose to oppose something and end up doing it anyway. Weak.

I'm a giant fan of Detroit: Become Human, but a massive improvement would been choices that lead to avoiding certain sequences entirely, such as the protest and running away. I know that they're vital parts of the story's progression, but I'd like to see a game go "And nothing else/big happened. Everything stayed the same." without it being a "bad" ending or character death/Game Over, or an ending at all. It can totally turn into a Slice of Life game on that character's side of the story! What if we got the choice to not touch Markus's owner's son at all or restrain him instead of knocking him the hell out? Things like that.

But the thing is, some people like the "linear story" which is the path chosen by the directors. I don't get it either but some people just like to "go with the flow" instead of choosing for themselves.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, m76 said:

My only guess is for people who are not interested in the story and just want to skip cutscenes and conversations anyway.

For me that's the only reason to play games. If it has no convincing storyline I'm out.

Seriously, that's exactly the main reason for such inclusion in most games and I actually believe that it's something acceptable.