Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do so many video games feature tragic endings?

Why do you think so many video games features tragic endings, usually with the main character dying heroically? I think it is because we know we can’t escape mortality, but we hate the idea of dying a meaningless death. So, video games actually give us meaningful, heroic deaths as a form of wish fulfilment, because it is a better way to go than most of us will get.

It could be a signal that they don't want to make a sequel so the fans won't pressure it. Maybe they want to move on to other things. Also, drama sells. Drama just needs to be used appropriately and not thrown in there for a tear and farewell. To me that is a 'meaningless death.' If they were able to get you attached to a character and killed off in a meaningful way, then that death could be justified. But if there isn't much character build, then don't bother with a death of the main character. That cheapens it. It cheapens death. 

If death doesn't make you reflect on the character, then don't cheapen my heart. 

Because they think a story can't be meaningful otherwise. Or they are trying to be edgy.

I hate fail endings, it makes the whole story meaningless and pointless to me. It means I've wasted my time on  a no-win situation.

All games should be winnable/beatable. If the protagonist dies or fails to achieve their goals even if the player does everything right, that's not fair.

What is the point of playing a game you can't win? It's like playing against a cheater.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Welcome to RL.

That's true - there's that saying "We're born to lose but built to win". Nothing in life is guaranteed unless you plan to persist with it until you eventually come out on top.

5 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That's true - there's that saying "We're born to lose but built to win". Nothing in life is guaranteed unless you plan to persist with it until you eventually come out on top.

The problem with that is, that a lot of us are set up for failure. We're never offered a chance. We're kept down when we fall, and no one cares. And many actively try to keep us down.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

The problem with that is, that a lot of us are set up for failure. We're never offered a chance. We're kept down when we fall, and no one cares. And many actively try to keep us down.

I've dealt with it my whole life and it was only through sheer stubborn and a strong will that I overcame the odds. Once you realize that you're the only one you can depend on when things get tough, it'll better help you to understand what it'll take to keep going.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:13 AM, The Blackangel said:

Maybe they’re thinking the same thing as me. I’m sick to death of the fucking protagonist always winning and getting what they want. Kill the bastard off in the end.

PLEASE!!!!

Haha, I believe that most people actually love and enjoy happy ending and it's why video games are mostly designed to end in such ways.