Register Now
skyfire

Beautiful Desolation

Um. Why are the protagonists for this ‘African adventure’ white? Is it a commentary on the imperial colonization and subjugation of the continent or is it a commentary on the creators being afraid of using POC as people of color because they don’t think the game will sell?

23 hours ago, Empire said:

Um. Why are the protagonists for this ‘African adventure’ white? Is it a commentary on the imperial colonization and subjugation of the continent or is it a commentary on the creators being afraid of using POC as people of color because they don’t think the game will sell?

The accents sound South African to me, and that really only makes this potential problem that much worse given that nation's unfortunate history. Calling it whitewashing would be a little unkind to the game as we can't say for sure how this narrative and alternate reality is set up, but it still asks a number of uncomfortable questions. I can see your point, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe it actually dese makes sense after all after playing the game.

The game itself looks interesting. It still looks like the kind of thing better played on PC's to me, but I'm not sorry to see it come to consoles. Especially the Switch as that's a very good console for these types of games.

Edited by Shagger

22 hours ago, Empire said:

A lot of game engines require license for console exports. Maybe that could be one reason. I mean for example, the gamemaker 2 has 1299 USD worth of license to publish on consoles. So something like that could be stopping many developers from exporting to consoles. 

12 minutes ago, skyfire said:

A lot of game engines require license for console exports. Maybe that could be one reason. I mean for example, the gamemaker 2 has 1299 USD worth of license to publish on consoles. So something like that could be stopping many developers from exporting to consoles. 

Are you serious? 

Let me just repeat back what it sounds like you're trying to imply here, because I must be getting this wrong. What it sounds like you are saying is that the dev's had to make the protagonists of the game white because they wouldn't be able to acquire the licence to sell the game on console unless the protagonists were, indeed, white. Like I said, I must be misunderstanding you, or should I say I desperately hope so.

I have, however, already found a serious flaw in your theory. The PC version (at least on Steam) appears to have the same, white protagonists;

image_2021-06-03_113219.png.2f38e91d200d93983564e3539c64d5b0.png

So please clarify, what has the race of the protagonists got to do with publication licencing for consoles?

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I looked because I could not believe it, but to you credit it's true but it's not common practice.  What YoYogames is doing with their Gamemaker Console licenses is fucking bullshit.  It's the equivalent of paying a subscription for Netflix but then Microsoft gating that 3rd party service behind XBox Live Gold.  Even if you pay them their fee you still need to go through the same registration process Microsoft, Sony, and/or Nintendo and pay their fees!  Their literary charging developers for something they don't provide.  If I were a dev, I wouldn't touch their shit with a flag pole.  FUCK THESE GUYS!

Yes, publishing for consoles is expensive because of publishing fees as well the one off cost of development kits but neither of these have anything to do with the choice development tools and game engine.  I know that likes of Unity, Unreal and Cryengine don't charge extra fees for publishing on consoles because it's BS.

But obviously none of this has anything to do with the protagonists being white so I still gotta question why the hell you made that connection?

On 6/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, Crazycrab said:

But obviously none of this has anything to do with the protagonists being white so I still gotta question why the hell you made that connection?

Oh I was not on the storyline context but more of pointing out the lack of release on the switch (2021) which was different from the initial release which was in Feb 20 and was thinking of making the sell specific context, not necessarily on the game story context. 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:53 AM, skyfire said:

Some really good games coming out in the market. Check out the trailer. 

An African SciFi adventure genre, I think it's definitely going to be an interesting game. I haven't come across that kind of game for a while now. 

20 minutes ago, Heatman said:

An African SciFi adventure genre, I think it's definitely going to be an interesting game. I haven't come across that kind of game for a while now. 

gamejolt, itch and steam has plenty of similar scifi game sif you are into this type of the gameplay and graphcis along with narrative. 

1 minute ago, skyfire said:

gamejolt, itch and steam has plenty of similar scifi game sif you are into this type of the gameplay and graphcis along with narrative. 

I'm actually very impressed with seeing that kind of game genre. I actually have a thing for African based setting, so it's something that I would like to get into. 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:04 PM, Heatman said:

I'm actually very impressed with seeing that kind of game genre. I actually have a thing for African based setting, so it's something that I would like to get into. 

I follow a lot of itch and the unity developers and their vlogs, twitter accounts. and noticed a lot of them have african settings, some have asian settings. I have not however seen a lot of games with south america narrative. 

15 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I follow a lot of itch and the unity developers and their vlogs, twitter accounts. and noticed a lot of them have african settings, some have asian settings. I have not however seen a lot of games with south america narrative. 

Personally, I think that it's something that I should start doing from now ; following those developers. Please help me out with at one Twitter account to follow.