Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do Skyrim PS4 mods work on PS5?

Not anywhere close to how good mods are on Xbox and not even in the same galaxy compared to pc. It's due to the fact that playstation mods are only allowed to use what's originally in the game. On xbox and pc you can add all kinds of extra crap. I think my install folder is close to 200gb on my pc.

So, since you are new to PS5 and most people are, I don't think you can.

I honestly don't see any reason why the PS4 mods wouldn't work on the PS5 version of the game as I'm fairly certain they're exactly the same game, but as @Empire pointed modding on the PS4 version of the game is limited compared to Xbox and even more so compared to PC.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, Empire said:

Not anywhere close to how good mods are on Xbox and not even in the same galaxy compared to pc. It's due to the fact that playstation mods are only allowed to use what's originally in the game. On xbox and pc you can add all kinds of extra crap. I think my install folder is close to 200gb on my pc.

So, since you are new to PS5 and most people are, I don't think you can.

I never knew the mods worked better on Xbox than on PS, is there a reason for that?

8 hours ago, Shole said:

I never knew the mods worked better on Xbox than on PS, is there a reason for that?

The main difference is that the SKSE (Script Extender) does not work on the PlayStation because of some differences in how the PlayStation console launches the games.  Without SKSE the only changes you can make are literally skin deep.  Changing textures, moving assets around, that sorta stuff. So any mod that affects AI, game mechanics, quests, dialogue, progression or stats won't work properly because they require the SKSE in order to function. 

Pretty much, Sony will not let modders play with sound or texture within the game or add either. This results in modding being reduced to editing ingame numbers.

On Xbox, while still limited compared to PC, will allow for modding of textures and sounds as well adding both. This means you have every mod Sony allows plus brand new guns, gear, companions, character models, voices, sounds, areas. etc etc.

On PC, the sky is the limit. On Xbox, your imagination modding knowledge is closer to the limit. On Sony, you can only edit what the game has already given you.

10 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

The main difference is that the SKSE (Script Extender) does not work on the PlayStation because of some differences in how the PlayStation console launches the games.  Without SKSE the only changes you can make are literally skin deep.  Changing textures, moving assets around, that sorta stuff. So any mod that affects AI, game mechanics, quests, dialogue, progression or stats won't work properly because they require the SKSE in order to function. 

Oh that's a shame, I mean I thought it was something like a few mods give errors, but I guess the battle of the systems is deeper than what I thought it was.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:28 AM, Crazycrab said:

Now, that's a better explanation on why such mods doesn't work on some consoles. This is valuable piece of information for me to be very honest with you.