Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Can games be used to teach about different realistic cultures in the world?

Too many people don't get to go out in the world and integrate with other society members, so I was wondering if video games can be the solution to teach real world cultures. The game could show actual scenes in some place like China or Mexico or Kenya or even their own neighborly big city or small rural town. They would learn how they interact, historic sites, architecture and art, food, and everyday life. It could be approved internationally so as to not create a bias. And if it was approved in schools, that could be some pretty good cultural education that is lacking. 

1 hour ago, Family sedan said:

My concern would be getting each aspect of the community being depicted to be authentic enough.

That's a valid concern because the media tends to like distorting aspects of the truth to portray a particular culture as "evil" or "radical" when in reality, their own people are behind some of the most radical events in history.

Absolutely. In fact, there are many games that teach the player about history or ancient/contemporary cultures. Games are funny (in general) and if players can increase their cultural level while having fun, well, I have no words to express how wonderful it is (I say this because most students don't like to study because for them it's tedious and boring, like in school. So, if people can learn things in an entertaining way, great). Examples: Assassin's Creed, God Of War, Tomb Raider, Ghost of Tsushima, Indiana Jones, Wolfenstein...

And yeah, i'd love to see games being used to teach at classes.

(Sorry if my english is a sh**, I'm learning)

Yes historical games can be used to do so. Especially like strategy games, you can learn a lot from CK2 and CK3 when it comes to dinasties and how the world looked like/was divided before our countries were made.