Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you prefer games that tell you a story or games where you create a story?

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I much prefer to create my own story as I like to be the one in control of my character's destiny.

That's it Buddy, it should be directed to my player and not the one directed to already existing pro team player. 

The game needs to have a worthwhile story to tell, otherwise I'm not even interested in playing it. But that doesn't mean you can't forge your own narrative by way of your actions. The same goal should be achievable by many different tactics and means.

So the story should be set, the exact narrative of how you go through the story should be up to the player.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Head_Hunter said:

Creating my game story is the best because I'll design my player the way I want it act, and centre the story upon him and not using an existing character of the game. 

It also depends on the level of the storytelling because if it is compelling and well thought out, I won't mind it all.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:55 AM, killamch89 said:

It also depends on the level of the storytelling because if it is compelling and well thought out, I won't mind it all.

Sure, when it is well thought out, you shouldn't mind either because what we are looking for is simply the derivative aspect of the game. 

I would have to go with games that tell a story because when I can create a story, many times I feel pushed into a decision I didn't make. Like if I walked to the right instead of left, I get sucked into a sequence I didn't intend because I want to check out both the right and the left. Or if I didn't push buttons in the right sequence fast enough so it drags me into something I didn't want to happen. Or if time runs out trying to decide, when in real life I don't usually make quick decisions. I mean, if you were sitting behind the nuclear codes and you have 5 seconds to pull the trigger or not, c'mon man!!! Give me 24 hours to think whether or not to destroy a city for christ's sake. Maybe that first 5 seconds brings out your true self... who knows. Please keep the options at 3 words so that I'm not still reading when time runs out. Creating a story is mostly misled into thinking you have control. Things usually wind up in the same boat anyways till some other part of the story that mattered more which could effect the ending. And sometimes I'm not given an option I actually would have done. Where is option E? For creating a story to be very effective, then the entire game should be designed with thousands of decisions you have to make that leads to 50 different endings. Because if you are making a bunch of decisions and the story has 3 different endings, then tell me where the point of it all was. Creating my story becomes 33% of what everyone else ended up with which isn't very unique.