Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather make your child learn more languages or more moral values?

At first I thought this was such an easy choice: moral values. But then I think anyone who has the patience and intellect to learn multiple languages will also have the rationality to behave morally. As Mark Twain is quoted as saying, "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." I fully concur with @StaceyPowers' assessment.

It's something a lot of Britons could do with reflecting on. To quote a vox pop I saw on Tiktok, "being British is all about driving a German car to an Irish theme pub to drink Belgian beer then going home buying an Indian take-away to sit on a Swedish sofa infront of a Japanese television to watch American shows and all the while being suspicious of anything foreign”. To learn those languages and understand those people rather than consume the goods they manufacture would instill a lot of positive values.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, NightmareFarm said:

Moral values are essential. Teaching my theoretical kid secondary languages that aren't spoken in the country we reside in is just for showing off.

No language learnt can beat the essence of Moral values in the world. Even if our leaders have it, they will run the world the way that's going to make life easier for their citizens. 

It has always been a dream of mine to learn more than four languages and atleast speak each of them fluently. In as much as my parents taught me many values they never  paid attention to teaching me other Languages aside the ones I am already acquainted with. So i wouldn't make same mistakes with my kids I would teach them more values and still encourage them to learn more languages.

42 minutes ago, Clasher said:

It has always been a dream of mine to learn more than four languages and atleast speak each of them fluently. In as much as my parents taught me many values they never  paid attention to teaching me other Languages aside the ones I am already acquainted with. So i wouldn't make same mistakes with my kids I would teach them more values and still encourage them to learn more languages.

I would say that our parents weren't exposed that much to know the benefits of learning and speaking more than one language fluently. Now, with just one language, it would be as if you're in a box. The more you can speak more than one, the better. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

I would say that our parents weren't exposed that much to know the benefits of learning and speaking more than one language fluently. Now, with just one language, it would be as if you're in a box. The more you can speak more than one, the better. 

Exposure and the constant need to move out of a region to another country with different cultures and languages maybe for work and other activities has made me understand even more why it's best to learn more than two languages and be good at it. I wouldn't wait for my kids to find out about it on their own I would tell them about it and encourage them to learn in whatever way I can.