Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Aikido as self defense vs martial arts using force

Aikido is the martial art of using one's own force against them, while other martial arts actually fight with force. In Aikido, they don't punch or kick but instead use the person's momentum to throw them, pin them, or break their arm/wrist when they swing. Which art would you prefer fighting with? Is force more effective than defense? Back in the day I practiced Aikido for a short period and I highly respect the martial art. There are two completely different mind sets when fighting if you are in Aikido vs any other martial art. Defense vs offense. 

I never took martial arts, (except Judo in bootcamp) but I taught myself to use a persons momentum against them. Throwing someone off balance, without throwing a punch or kick, tends to bring out what I call "stupid anger". It causes them to kick their own ass by screwing up their attacks and hurting themselves in the process. You never have to strike them, because they do it for you. But then there are some of us who strike when they are at their most vulnerable, myself included.

There are no rules in a fight. Only in a tournament.

I've always been a fan of martial arts though I only took a few classes many years ago. It was hard find a place that had good classes that were local. We live rural & I didn't want to travel too far. I have however watched many videos & got a basic idea of what they are about. I prefer to learn Self Defense as I do not want to hurt the other just to hurt, I want to learn to get away from the situation.

Bruce Lee is my all-time favorite martial artist. For those who are familiar with him, check out Ip Man, who was his teacher.

7 hours ago, ZandraJoi said:

I've always been a fan of martial arts though I only took a few classes many years ago. It was hard find a place that had good classes that were local. We live rural & I didn't want to travel too far. I have however watched many videos & got a basic idea of what they are about. I prefer to learn Self Defense as I do not want to hurt the other just to hurt, I want to learn to get away from the situation.

Bruce Lee is my all-time favorite martial artist. For those who are familiar with him, check out Ip Man, who was his teacher.

My parents got me into martial arts because I was very unruly as a kid and they thought it'd teach me discipline but all it did was teach me how to beat the crap out of people with proper form. In general, I don't go looking for trouble either but I won't hesitate to defend myself.

I always wanted to take martial arts, but only a few and only from someone from either China or Japan. Considering that I wanted to learn Kung Fu, I wanted to find a Chinese master. They treat it as more than a self defense course, or just a way to kick someone’s ass, the way we do in the west. It’s a true art form from a true teacher. They teach you to use your mind first and your fist last. They teach you how to harness the wisdom of the art through the knowledge of the art.

I always dreamed of living with my master and being trained day and night until he/she decided that my training with them was complete. The type of master that takes only one student. And I’m talking diapers, to adulthood. But that’s a pipe dream, and besides, I’m too old and crippled now. I’ll just have to stick to my guns. Literally.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 11/17/2021 at 11:05 PM, The Blackangel said:

I always wanted to take martial arts, but only a few and only from someone from either China or Japan. Considering that I wanted to learn Kung Fu, I wanted to find a Chinese master. They treat it as more than a self defense course, or just a way to kick someone’s ass, the way we do in the west. It’s a true art form from a true teacher. They teach you to use your mind first and your fist last. They teach you how to harness the wisdom of the art through the knowledge of the art.

I always dreamed of living with my master and being trained day and night until he/she decided that my training with them was complete. The type of master that takes only one student. And I’m talking diapers, to adulthood. But that’s a pipe dream, and besides, I’m too old and crippled now. I’ll just have to stick to my guns. Literally.

To be fair, to become good at martial arts, it takes some intrinsic motivation. Shotokan came natural to me but for me to become one of the best at it as a kid, I trained relentlessly.