Register Now
Kane99

What 3 games did famous writer George R.R. Martin play?

George R.R. Martin, the creator of the Song of Ice and Fire series (AKA Game of Thrones), is not much of a gamer. But, he did reveal recently that he did do some gaming back in the day. 

The games he played? Well they were Railroad Tycoon, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Master of Orion. Honestly only am familiar with Railroad Tycoon myself. I know the other two, but don't know enough on them to say anything. But yeah, those are three of the games he played. 

As you know, he's heavily involved with Elden Ring, so it's kinda cool to know he did do some gaming in the past. But yeah, makes you wonder if he'd be into games today if he tried them out. 

Source - https://www.escapistmagazine.com/george-r-r-martin-used-to-play-video-games-railroad-tycoon-romance-orion/

On 12/24/2021 at 4:38 AM, Kane99 said:

George R.R. Martin, the creator of the Song of Ice and Fire series (AKA Game of Thrones), is not much of a gamer. But, he did reveal recently that he did do some gaming back in the day. 

The games he played? Well they were Railroad Tycoon, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Master of Orion. Honestly only am familiar with Railroad Tycoon myself. I know the other two, but don't know enough on them to say anything. But yeah, those are three of the games he played. 

As you know, he's heavily involved with Elden Ring, so it's kinda cool to know he did do some gaming in the past. But yeah, makes you wonder if he'd be into games today if he tried them out. 

Source - https://www.escapistmagazine.com/george-r-r-martin-used-to-play-video-games-railroad-tycoon-romance-orion/

He's written books like Game of Thrones, The Winds of Winter, Fire and Blood and A Dance with Dragons. It's not a surprise that he's involved with Elden Ring. 

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I know about game of Thrones, especially the famous movie. But I am not familiar with 'George R.R Martin. It's cool knowing that he made a famous series in the Game Of Thrones, and have shown interest in video games. 

When you think about the out coming Elden Ring, the first name that should cross your mind should be George R.R Martin. 

8 minutes ago, Boblee said:

When you think about the out coming Elden Ring, the first name that should cross your mind should be George R.R Martin. 

I disagree.  From what I understand George R.R Martin's contribution to Elden Ring comes down to elements of the game's lore and setting.  He's not the primary creative drive behind it, that would be the director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

I disagree.  From what I understand George R.R Martin's contribution to Elden Ring comes down to elements of the game's lore and setting.  He's not the primary creative drive behind it, that would be the director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

And that isn't an important element in the making of the game if I may ask? 

39 minutes ago, Boblee said:

And that isn't an important element in the making of the game if I may ask? 

I'm NEVER said it wasn't and I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth.

What I'm saying is George R.R Martin is co-writer on the project along with Hidetaka Miyazaki.  Martin is making a significant contribution to the game but to say....

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

...Isn't properly representing Martin or Miyazaki with regard to their level of creative drive on the project.  That's like saying the first name that should come to mind when you think of Take That is Robbie Williams, even though it was Gary Barlow who did most of the writing.  The only reason who would put Williams' name first is because he's more famous, and that's exactly what your doing here with George R.R Martin.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, being the director and co-writer of Elden Ring makes him the primary creative force behind it.  Therefore his is first name you should cross your mind, not George R.R Martin.

Edited by Crazycrab

Just now, Crazycrab said:

I'm NEVER said I wasn't and I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth.

What I'm saying is George R.R Martin is co-writer on the project along with Hidetaka Miyazaki.  Martin is making a significant contribution to the game but to say....

...Isn't properly representing Martin's or Miyazaki's with regard to their level of creative drive on the project.  That's like saying the first name that should come to mind when you think if Take That is Robbie Williams, even though it was Gary Barlow who did most of the writing.  The only reason reason who would put Williams' name first is because he's more famous, and that's exactly what your doing here with George R.R Martin.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, being the director and co-writer of Elden Ring makes him the primary creative force behind it.  Therefore his is first name you should cross your mind, not George R.R Martin.

The thing is that it's George R.R Martin that first crosses my mind in that situation. Although, I do in fact understand your point completely but what matters to me is personal to me and not based on your own perception. 

15 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's George R.R Martin a key protagonist of a video game that will feature in Elden Ring? Or it's simply another video game more anticipating like Elden Ring? 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

It's George R.R Martin a key protagonist of a video game that will feature in Elden Ring? Or it's simply another video game more anticipating like Elden Ring? 

No, he didn't feature in the game but among those who set up the game to be developed. He's worked on the elements of the game's lore and setting of the game. 

On 2/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, Boblee said:

No, he didn't feature in the game but among those who set up the game to be developed. He's worked on the elements of the game's lore and setting of the game. 

Ohh, I got your points now, he's simply a cog in the development of the Elden Ring game. The end justifies if the work rate is tremendous, I'll wait to see how Elden Ring goes. 

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Ohh, I got your points now, he's simply a cog in the development of the Elden Ring game. The end justifies if the work rate is tremendous, I'll wait to see how Elden Ring goes. 

Yeah exactly. It's more like being in the developers team doing his own part in making of the game. 

On 12/24/2021 at 4:38 AM, Kane99 said:

I came across the article too and it was fun getting to read that he felt that Elden Ring is one game that he can't turn down... It excites all of us. 

23 minutes ago, Boblee said:

To be very honest with you when it comes to the release of Elden Ring, I don't really think that there is any gamer who's not interested in playing the game. 

I'm not that bothered about it, mostly because I don't really like the "Souls" type games.  I would give it a go it it were on a subscription service like Gamepass but for now, it's a hard pass.  I probably be picking up Horizon Forbidden West instead.