Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you feel like games guilt trip you?

I often see players complaining that video games seem to be attempting to guilt trip them. There are some cases where I can see this argument—particularly if it is in the context of a game with a complete blank slate character and a very high degree of player agency. But in games with restricted player agency and/or set, developed characters, it seems a bit odd to me. The narrative may suggest the character should feel remorse for an action, but since it was not the player’s choice (even if the player played through the action), I don’t see how that is guilt tripping the player.

Decision based games do that. Sometimes they don't give good options and you are stuck making a decision you wouldn't even make that results in a bad consequence. And then you feel guilty for it as if you made an immoral decision when you wouldn't have chose those only options. Some games have random encounters where you can help someone. I feel like a jackass just ignoring it. I'll never finish the game if I try to be a saint. 

I'm sure some do. Like Reality said, decision based games probably. I know the walking dead games kinda did that. 

I know rdr2 will guilt you if you go to the bad side. There's even a moment where you talk with someone in your camp if you kill too many animals. 

9 hours ago, Boblee said:

If it's making me to feel bad a little bit, some games are definitely capable of doing that but never going to make me feel any guilt for any reason whatsoever. 

Some gamers are very emotional when it comes to how they react to what happens in the games that they play especially when their decisions impact on the games. 

On 1/14/2022 at 1:07 AM, Heatman said:

Some gamers are very emotional when it comes to how they react to what happens in the games that they play especially when their decisions impact on the games. 

I get that very well because my kid brother was built like that when it comes to how his emotions fly out of the window in some of the games that he plays. 

7 hours ago, Boblee said:

I get that very well because my kid brother was built like that when it comes to how his emotions fly out of the window in some of the games that he plays. 

Yeah, I can only recall Spec Ops :The Line having that kind of effects on me back then when I started out playing the game. 

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, I can only recall Spec Ops :The Line having that kind of effects on me back then when I started out playing the game. 

Yeah, the incident in Spec Ops :The Line would definitely get most people feeling guilty from what happened.

19 minutes ago, Boblee said:

Yeah, the incident in Spec Ops :The Line would definitely get most people feeling guilty from what happened.

Damn, I didn't even consider Spec ops the line. One of my favorite games too because of its story. Also, heavy spoilers if you watch this video. But yeah, this game makes you feel bad. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Damn, I didn't even consider Spec ops the line. One of my favorite games too because of its story. Also, heavy spoilers if you watch this video. But yeah, this game makes you feel bad. 

Seriously, the game and the act in the use of White Phosphorus really left a cold chill down my spine. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

At least for more than 3 weeks, I couldn't get over that particular scene in the game. It took me ages to muster courage and replay the game. 

15 hours ago, Boblee said:

At least for more than 3 weeks, I couldn't get over that particular scene in the game. It took me ages to muster courage and replay the game. 

There was a game clip scene I think that was shared by @Razor1911where a man was recording his daughter and car bomb hit killing them. It was a horrible scene. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

There was a game clip scene I think that was shared by @Razor1911where a man was recording his daughter and car bomb hit killing them. It was a horrible scene. 

Now that you have mentioned it, it's been a while since I saw any of his comments in the community. I hope he's alright?? 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, Heatman said:

Seriously, the game and the act in the use of White Phosphorus really left a cold chill down my spine. 

It was really depressing to see played out, especially before you decide to do it, you think they are an army of soldiers, but in reality it's civilians. Really makes you think about the horrors of war and how it can change people a lot.