Register Now
StaceyPowers

Oldest game you own and can still play?

8 hours ago, Patrik said:

every single PS1 game thanks to ePSXe, and it supports windows 10!

Not sure that really counts as you don't technically own those games. If you actually own any physical copies, sure. But I wouldn't count that. 

41 minutes ago, Boblee said:

I can't really remember the last time I saw a Playstation 1 console or the game that's played on it. 

ePSXe is a PS1/PSX games emulator for PC and mobile, you can play PS1 games using DVD's/ISO's with it

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Not sure that really counts as you don't technically own those games. If you actually own any physical copies, sure. But I wouldn't count that. 

emulating games is a very controversial topic and there isn't any fixed answer for it if it's illegal or not 😞

On 3/5/2022 at 12:20 PM, Patrik said:

emulating games is a very controversial topic and there isn't any fixed answer for it if it's illegal or not 😞

I don't really see anything controversial about video games emulation. Was there ever a law against it? 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, Patrik said:

it's still being discussed and there is no final answer yet if it's illegal or not 😐

Yeah, that's very correct and likely the case its going to be coming to any consensus/conclusions any time soon. 

On 3/5/2022 at 6:20 AM, Patrik said:

Well if you own the actual games physically, it's technically legal, as you're legally allowed to make a copy of a game for private use only. But, if you download a ROM from a website, that is piracy and is illegal. Which means you do not own the game in any way. Yes you can play that game on an emulator, but you do not technically or legally own that ROM in any way, since you illegally have a copy of it. If you owned the physical copy, it would be legal, but if you don't have the physical copy, it's piracy. 

There are laws about emulation and piracy. It's the same as if you illegally download music from the web. 

8 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Well if you own the actual games physically, it's technically legal, as you're legally allowed to make a copy of a game for private use only. But, if you download a ROM from a website, that is piracy and is illegal. Which means you do not own the game in any way. Yes you can play that game on an emulator, but you do not technically or legally own that ROM in any way, since you illegally have a copy of it. If you owned the physical copy, it would be legal, but if you don't have the physical copy, it's piracy. 

There are laws about emulation and piracy. It's the same as if you illegally download music from the web. 

well, this actually makes sense, but it's not necessarily true, there are lot of emulation channels that are based in the US and meant for only emulation and homebrew for consoles (which i think is illegal)

https://youtu.be/h8KRKz20ONU

44 minutes ago, Patrik said:

well, this actually makes sense, but it's not necessarily true, there are lot of emulation channels that are based in the US and meant for only emulation and homebrew for consoles (which i think is illegal)

https://youtu.be/h8KRKz20ONU

The real question is whether anyone who's into doing that have ever been arrested on the base of doing something illegal?