Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Amazon gets it's first labor union in New York!

Is this real? Not yet. The warehouse in Staten Island New York voted and won the unionization of the warehouse. Amazon is against unionization and has done much to prevent this. They are also going to file an objection to the vote and probably end up re-voting to allow Amazon pull a republican trick and suppress it. But for now, New York is the first ever Amazon warehouse to unionize. 

Benefits of labor unions:

A labor union enables us to exercise the right of collective bargaining: with a union we can negotiate our wages, benefits, and working conditions for the first time at Amazon. A union also offers protection, democratic decision-making, and mutual support and solidarity.

Way to go New York!

https://www.amazonlaborunion.org

The labour union establishment is indeed home coning. It will protect the workers under the labour union, make decisions that are favourable to their working schedule, and long term happiness. I was thinking that, Amazon had one earlier. 

I’ve always supported workers rights and I am glad Amazon got the kick up the ass that it needed, could someone still tell me what makes the union so great? I don’t know much about it other then it’s good for workers and corporations hate them

16 hours ago, Empire said:

I’ve always supported workers rights and I am glad Amazon got the kick up the ass that it needed, could someone still tell me what makes the union so great? I don’t know much about it other then it’s good for workers and corporations hate them

Labor unions allow employees to negotiate salaries, benefits, and working conditions which are legally bound. Corporations tend to be against it because they want to set their own wages and benefits which are usually sub standard and doesn't change much over time. Unions also get pensions instead of 401k. The difference is in a pension you have no risk of losing money while a 401k basically is a gamble. Labor unions treat jobs as a blue collar job where you can live as the middle class. Greed is usually the basis of anti unionization. 

Here is some research on benefits of labor unions in the U.S. 

"A 2018 study in the Economic History Review found that the rise of labor unions in the 1930s and 1940s was associated with a reduction in income inequality.[100] A 2020 study found that congressional representatives were more responsive to the interests of the poor in districts with higher unionization rates.[101] Another 2020 study found an association between state level adoption of parental leave legislation and labor union strength.[102] A 2021 study in the ILR Review found that state union density was associated with a reduction in poverty in both unionized and non-unionized households.[103]"

"A 2020 study in the American Journal of Political Science suggested that when white people obtain union membership, they become less racially resentful.[104]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_unions_in_the_United_States

Corporations also tend to want to overwork employees, fire them without justification, and even make them work a shift they didn't even sign up for. Warehouse jobs like Amazon and Walmart force you to work a different shift if they need the help. I don't even see how that's legal. Walmart even makes you stay on the job however long it takes to finish, even up to 14-15 hour shifts in their major warehouse hubs. Many of those positions don't get holidays off and even are forced to work during natural disasters. Look at what happened when the Amazon warehouse was destroyed by a tornado recently and killed employees who were forced to work in even in a high natural disaster risk. These things can be prevented in unionization.