Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is there a way to maintain a sense of urgency in open world games?

Skyrim wasn't perfect in this regard obviously but as a hike 'n loot simulator the huge map feels worthwhile to just wander round and explore, since you'll usually find either some bit of environmental storytelling or a bit of loot or a dungeon (though everyone is sick of those after about five of them, granted). I liked going round just taking in sights, and would come across some neat things or nice views. Outside of the dungeons it had a nice mix of stuff to see. PLus Horizon Zero Dawn was good about having different environments (desert, forest, mountain) and you can unlock unlimited fast travel around the midpoint of the game.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Very valid answer. In Skyrim, there's a mod that allows Alduin to destroy Tamriel within a certain period of time unless you defeat him before that and that gives you the impetus to finish the main story.

That's one thing which got me to play rush Skyrim at one point because I knew what the outcome is going to be like if I didn't take care of Alduin before the havoc on Tamriel is carried out. 

You could also skip doing side missions, tasks etc. I know a lot of the time you don't need to do all those side missions, so if you want to complete a game with more urgency, complete only the main story and skip the side stuff. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

You could also skip doing side missions, tasks etc. I know a lot of the time you don't need to do all those side missions, so if you want to complete a game with more urgency, complete only the main story and skip the side stuff. 

Funny enough, completing just the main story in any games that I play would never be enough. I don't know how others feel about that, it feels like I didn't fully explore the game very well if I just focus on the game's main story. 

Really the only solution for urgency is to play the main mission or look for a side quest. I like how some open worlds have a leveling system for different regions of the map so you know to stay within your level on the map and not wonder too far off and lose your guidance of what you want to do or where to go. It helps keep you focused on a certain region and explore that area first. Usually if you do a main quest, it will take you to a new area and give you an idea of what to go back and explore. And you might unlock new abilities to try out, or new available quests on the map. I've set my own goals before like setting a point on the map I want to reach and explore everything near that path along the way. It usually opens up something interesting. 

10 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Really the only solution for urgency is to play the main mission or look for a side quest. I like how some open worlds have a leveling system for different regions of the map so you know to stay within your level on the map and not wonder too far off and lose your guidance of what you want to do or where to go. It helps keep you focused on a certain region and explore that area first. Usually if you do a main quest, it will take you to a new area and give you an idea of what to go back and explore. And you might unlock new abilities to try out, or new available quests on the map. I've set my own goals before like setting a point on the map I want to reach and explore everything near that path along the way. It usually opens up something interesting. 

I usually do the main quest first and then after sometime I go check out the side quests to do some different tasks maybe a much harder one then I return to the main story.

This is exactly the partner I enjoy to play open world games switching between the side quests and the main quests.