Register Now
Lamarr the strelok

PSVR as expensive as the PS 5

It makes sense since you are getting a console but in a headset form (kinda of). I think it's worth it, as long as more games support it (since with the PS4 there was a lack where only parts of some games supported it, or only in certain settings/modes, or not at all).

Yeah it's pretty pricey, not very fond of that price point, but VR headsets and devices are pretty pricey to begin with. I figured it would go for like $400 and $500 anyway, so it fits into that price point. 

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

It makes sense since you are getting a console but in a headset form (kinda of). I think it's worth it, as long as more games support it (since with the PS4 there was a lack where only parts of some games supported it, or only in certain settings/modes, or not at all).

You still need the PS5 in order to play it, so not really. It's not one of those headsets that can be played by itself, it will need a PS5 in order to work, so that's going to cost people well over $1000 if they don't have a PS5 yet. 

18 hours ago, Lamarr the strelok said:

Yep you need the console itself too. I bet it'll be pretty cool but I'm not interested in VR personally.It's just too clunky for me.

So then you're paying well into $1000 if you currently don't have a PS5 on hand. That's insane, but to be expected. I think the original PSVR released for around $400+, so it's not too much of a difference. 

I've never used VR so I can't fully judge whether the price point is fair. I can see it being fair to some, but this is definitely made for the hardcore gamers out there anyway. 

It would be ridiculous of them to charge more for a peripheral than the console itself especially as they'll want high hardware sales to drive those all important software sales where they make most of their money.

If anything it may be slightly cheaper than PS5 digital by $10-20 to undercut the Quest 2.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Empire said:

It would be ridiculous of them to charge more for a peripheral than the console itself especially as they'll want high hardware sales to drive those all important software sales where they make most of their money.

If anything it may be slightly cheaper than PS5 digital by $10-20 to undercut the Quest 2.

The thing is, these headsets are costly to make I imagine, on top of that, the PS4 VR was about the same or more than some PS4 consoles at release. So it's kinda to be expected. Just sucks for us consumers who can't afford it, as we may never get the chance to play it because of the high price. 

On 11/16/2022 at 11:40 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm not that interested in VR given the current state of the technology so I couldn't care less what it costs and even if I was, I'd give it some time until the price drops to around $100.

Why not? The state of VR seems to be pretty good at the moment. Expensive for sure, but I imagine VR is a ton of fun if you had the money for it. 

I doubt VR will get that low. If it does it will probably happen when these consoles are obsolete and we're already a few generations ahead. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

The thing is, these headsets are costly to make I imagine, on top of that, the PS4 VR was about the same or more than some PS4 consoles at release. So it's kinda to be expected. Just sucks for us consumers who can't afford it, as we may never get the chance to play it because of the high price. 

Unless they get it used or able to get it on sale, just that end of the day it's not just about the VR but seeing what you need to get to able to run and suppor it. ends up costly to get started 😛 I have someones that spent 800 all up with list of games

On 11/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, Empire said:

Unless they get it used or able to get it on sale, just that end of the day it's not just about the VR but seeing what you need to get to able to run and suppor it. ends up costly to get started 😛 I have someones that spent 800 all up with list of games

The technology used to develop the PSVR is quite expensive which is why Sony want to cut some of those cost by increasing the price.

The Sony marketing team are so good at their job I am quite sure they are gonna make profit front it as well.