Register Now
Techno

Games that ended the franchise?

Fossil Fighters, first two games were amazing hidden gems with storylines so bizarre that they were impossible to predict but the third one... oh my goodness! We do not speak of that game! You could only control one of the three dinosaurs on your side of the field, the storyline was super predictable, most dinos were cut out of the game, the ones they kept were completely butchered, and the storyline was terribly predictable. I say this game goes into Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival levels of bad and that's a hard game to beat in the terrible department

Motorstorm Apocalypse

I can't comment on how good the game itself is or isn't as I never played it, but that is actually why this game brought Motorstorm to an abrupt end. Sony marketed the game fine and did nothing wrong, and it may have done very well except for one thing: the Japan earthquakes. Motorstorm Apocalypse was set in an urban environment that had been ravaged by natural disasters, and when the Japan earthquakes hit close to its original release date, the game was delayed out of respect to the real-life tragedy that had happened. The problem though was all the marketing budget had been spent for the games original release, and by the time it actually came out there was practically no marketing for it, resulting in a release many people missed entirely, poor sales, and Evolution moving on to a new IP which would be Driveclub.

Dead Space 3

A mixed bag of a game that is a prime example of EA putting their hands in the pot instead of trusting the chef to do their job without interference. Randomly added co-op, microtransactions, and a focus into action over horror saw Dead Space 3 sell 20% less than Dead Space 2, and its failure to meet sales expectations by EA resulted in the studio behind the franchise being shut down and the franchise going dormant until the recent remake announcement.

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness + Tomb Raider: Underworld

This franchise has seen 2 reboots in its lifetime, and both can be attributed to the games I've mentioned. In the case of AoD, it was a poorly made game that would be the last by Core, the original developers of the franchise. Core had fallen into a trend of pushing out a Tomb Raider game every year from 1996 to 2003 to, by their own admission, hit the Holiday period to maximize on sales at the expense of quality. Core had turned itself into a factory of just pumping Tomb Raider games out and riding on the brand name alone, but AoD ran into numerous problems due to the change in engine, being delayed twice and having numerous sections scaled back or cut entirely. The game was received poorly both critically and commercially, causing a planned trilogy (with AoD being the first entry) being scrapped and the IP being moved to Crystal Dynamics for a reboot.

Crystal Dynamics did well with the IP at first, giving it a successful reboot with Tomb Raider: Legend. Two games later though would see the release of Underworld, which failed to meet sales expectations and forced Crystal Dynamics to reboot the franchise yet again with Tomb Raider 2013.

Hmm good question. I'd say the recent Battlefield game may have ended the franchise for how awful it turned out. If they make a sequel, which I'm sure they will, it cannot be as much of a failure. Otherwise I think Battlefield is done as a franchise. EA is probably the reason as to why the new Battlefield sucks, probably some bs that Dice have to finish the game in a short period of time or something. 

But I'd say that for sure, as it feels like it could be the end for them. Other than that, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, though I'm sure more games will come to mind later. 

4 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Hmm good question. I'd say the recent Battlefield game may have ended the franchise for how awful it turned out. If they make a sequel, which I'm sure they will, it cannot be as much of a failure. Otherwise I think Battlefield is done as a franchise.

People have said the same thing about the previous 5 Battlefield games. It's like COD and FIFA, the less vocal, but also more "dedicated" (in other words, stupid), portions of the gaming population will keep buying it no matter how awful it is.

Edited by Shagger

On 11/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, Empire said:

Fossil Fighters, first two games were amazing hidden gems with storylines so bizarre that they were impossible to predict but the third one... oh my goodness! We do not speak of that game! You could only control one of the three dinosaurs on your side of the field, the storyline was super predictable, most dinos were cut out of the game, the ones they kept were completely butchered, and the storyline was terribly predictable. I say this game goes into Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival levels of bad and that's a hard game to beat in the terrible department

The third fossil fighter gave less than what was expected of it due to how good the previous sequels were.

I actually was expecting them to work on another sequel but I guess they just had to let it go after the disaster the third sequel was.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, Shagger said:

People have said the same thing about the previous 5 Battlefield games. It's like COD and FIFA, the less vocal, but also more "dedicated" (in other words, stupid), portions of the gaming population will keep buying it no matter how awful it is.

I'm telling you right now just spray paint Battlefield, COD or FIFA onto a piece of paper and their fanboys will pay $60 for it.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:54 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm telling you right now just spray paint Battlefield, COD or FIFA onto a piece of paper and their fanboys will pay $60 for it.

That's exactly same for fans of maybe resident evil or some other video game franchise that tries to achieve a consistent yearly release of video games.