Register Now
Kane99

Would you say Halo Infinite was a failure?

It may have won a ton of awards and fans may be happy with the campaign and portions of the multiplayer, but the free to play aspect ruined it. I haven't played the game myself, but I'm not much of a Halo fan. But, I know how important the franchise is to fans and how well received it has been over the years. But, the free to play aspect has left fans wanting more. I hear they don't have modes they should have had at release, and I hear their battle pass or road ahead is not very good. 

The Act Man did a good video about it, and he expresses all the problems better than I can. Basically he doesn't paint a good picture for the future of Infinite, because the game is already losing players left and right. 

Maybe one day Infinite can catch up and get good, but not the free to play method it seems. 

For the first year, yes. Season 2 was especially bad. It took nine months to even get a Season 3, that's not a good thing. However Forge has litterly saved the game, I am playing the game again thanks to it, and I've noticed that many other people are too. I feel like it's a similar situation to the Master Chief Collection, where at launch it was a bad game, but due to updates it became the best Halo game. It's a shame how incompetent 343 are, but they always get lucky I guess. 

I'd say in the beginning for the launch they didn't get everything right. They had a lot of issues on launch, and they had a lot missing such as co-op which many were looking forward to. After it was released last year, I started to play it but I found myself not enjoying it as much as I had enjoyed previous Halo games, felt like something was missing and I was a huge fan of the games prior to infinite being released. Fast forward to a year since they released, and it seems to have got better. I have yet to jump on and check the updates myself, but many are saying with the latest update it's a lot better than it was. Definitely going to be checking it out soon just to see how much better it is than on release. They may have had a bad release and let people down, but it seems they may have redeemed themselves. 

Their creative director Tom French recently stepped down. He was with the team for 11 years, so it's going to be interesting how this affects Halo Infinite going forward. It's clear Infinite isn't doing good right now, and they need all the help they can get right now. Halo shouldn't be having this many problems. I don't get why Microsoft isn't supporting their biggest franchise more. 

You can read more on this news here: https://dotesports.com/halo/news/halo-infinites-multiplayer-creative-director-leaves-343-industries-as-games-future-gets-murkier

I think it had a very poor & rocky launch. They launched it when it clearly wasn't ready to be launched.  I don't know if i'd call any Halo game a 'failure', but it certainly hurt the game having such a rocky launch when the game should've been kept in the oven a few more months at best. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, Empire said:

I havent played any 343 halos because no xbox, but hearing they canceled split screen coop after 5 years still feels like a shot through the heart, couch co-op makes some of my fondest memories from bungie era

Yeah when I heard they had canceled split screen after so long it was quite a shock. Many people especially on a game like Halo would love to still be able to sit and split screen with their friends. Like you say it's some of the fondest memories and split screen in Halo would bring back some serious memories. I really feel like them canceling split screen was a bad move on their part.