Register Now
The Blackangel

Teach Gaming?

What's a game you're passionate about? Like possibly your all time favorite. Say you know someone who has never really been into those kind of games, or gaming in general. But after hearing you talk about it, or watching you play, they develop an interest in the game. But they don't know how to play. Would you be willing, and patient enough, to teach them how to play the game in question?

With me there are two games that immediately come to mind for this one. RDR2 and FF8. I know virtually everything about FF8 and can show you how to make your characters virtually invincible. You all know how passionate I am about RDR2. I know a hell of a lot about the game, but not everything. With FF8, I don't know if I would have the patience for it. With RDR2, I would be more than happy to watch someone play it and guide them to easter eggs and tips for free shit. Let them play their way, but help them out with this, that, and the other. I talk about it all the time, and play it all the time. I'm confident to say now, that it has become my all time favorite game. Any chance I get to play it I take. Hell there's times I'll be jonesing for an RDR2 fix. It's my new crack.

Depends on the game. Like I rehearsed teaches for recent games I've played like Starcraft, John Company, Pax Renaissance, and Cerebria. But then I didn't rehearse or even watch videos for things like Roll Player, Yokohama, and Argent: The Consortium. Some games don't require it, but that's also heavily dependent on the teacher and the group. I also try to tailor the teaching structure for the players; some are comfortable if I give the entire teach up front while others want to learn as they go.

I think for me when you speak of a game and whether I would sit and teach someone a game I enjoy myself I would have to go with Yoahi's Island being that it is available to play on the Nintendo Switch so it would be a game that I could teach someone to play. My kids have never experienced or played Yoahi's Island before so I would love to be able to sit and teach my children this game and allow them to experience it as I feel given time, they would really enjoy this game.

Well, I'd certainly give it a go 😛 . 

Probably the game I'd be most confident with doing this is FTL: Faster than Light. The strategy for beating that game isn't obvious to newcomers - but it isn't too hard to explain (or put into practice once you do know it). And it is satisfying to go from struggling to beat Easy, to being able to crush the game on Hard difficulty!

Edited by Kyng

I would go for a game that needs a bit of strategy using abilities or magic like FFX or a military game where you plan your attack. It would be fun to work together and strategize. Plus it would be interesting to see how others think and go about plotting an attack. I'm not sure I would want to teach others my personal favorite games which would be Assassin's Creed Odyssey because it's such a big open world. Last thing I would want to do is teach someone how to parry or use certain abilities because we all think differently and want to fight differently. They may prefer an ability they like over one that I like. I'd get frustrated and become more of an observer and criticizer than do any help. Sometimes the best way to teach is let them figure it out themselves and plan their own attack. That's how I function. I have to do it myself and learn. As the student, if I wasn't familiar with all the abilities, I'd get nervous going to plan an attack while someone is telling me to do something when I don't know wtf they are talking about.