Register Now
Smokey

Steam-Deck clones like the Aya Neo?

Are you interested in handheld PC-like consoles like the Aya Neo or Steam Deck? Personally, I would love to get one of these as a companion to my gaming laptop. I'm just not sure which one to go for. I want something that'll emulate PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube fairly well, but i'm not sure. I also wouldn't want to spend more than about $1,000 on it. 

I have definitely had an interest in the Steam Deck but at the moment it is not in my budget. Being able to play certain games away from my PC and have access to my steam library handheld sounds pretty awesome to me. I know that some games are just not compatible for it and I think that is the only thing putting me off as well. I would definitely have to do some more research into it and what games are available before I considered jumping on it.

4 hours ago, Shortie said:

I have definitely had an interest in the Steam Deck but at the moment it is not in my budget. Being able to play certain games away from my PC and have access to my steam library handheld sounds pretty awesome to me. I know that some games are just not compatible for it and I think that is the only thing putting me off as well. I would definitely have to do some more research into it and what games are available before I considered jumping on it.

Yeah. I'd love to get one myself. I found out recently you can run Dreamcast games on it and they all run pretty well if not flawlessly, so I'm pretty excited about that aspect. I might have to see about picking one up in 2023 at some point. It's definitely something I'd love to have and be able to use on the go. Especially if I have to go somewhere overnight and don't have anything to really do in a hotel room or something. 

I'm a bit hesitant to buy a competitor to the steam deck. If I don't know the name, brand etc, I usually pass on it. I have never heard of the Aya Neo myself, but I'm sure there are a bunch of handhelds like the steam deck popping up these days. Some with similar specs, but I imagine most of them are people trying to scam, or you don't get a device that's barely comparable. 

On 12/22/2022 at 11:11 PM, killamch89 said:

Aya has been around long before the Steam Deck so it's not exactly the clone. If anything, the Steam Deck is the one that's the clone. GDP and Oneplayer has also been around long before the Steam Deck and most of them are even more powerful than it. However, they also are more expensive.

That's a good point. I'm looking to pick up a device like this later this year and i'm just trying to weigh my options out and get the best one for what I want to do with it (emulation of consoles like PS2 & Dreamcast mostly) 

On 1/1/2023 at 6:37 PM, Smokey said:

That's a good point. I'm looking to pick up a device like this later this year and i'm just trying to weigh my options out and get the best one for what I want to do with it (emulation of consoles like PS2 & Dreamcast mostly) 

I'd say get the Steam Deck because from what I've read and heard from some of my friends, it's the most polished option right out of the box. Also the cheapest if you can get it at MSRP or close to that.

That's why I hate the Steam Deck and their shills

I'd much rather support those other brands, like Aya Neo, GPD, OneNetbook, etc. They're the ones that Kickstarted this new generation handheld revolution, and a big company just decided to cannibalize the industry with their overhyped, overrated product. But since it's steam and it's cheap, people are buying it like hot cakes.

I'm glad the other players in this industry survived, and I hope there's longevity in their success.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, Empire said:

I'd much rather support those other brands, like Aya Neo, GPD, OneNetbook, etc. They're the ones that Kickstarted this new generation handheld revolution, and a big company just decided to cannibalize the industry with their overhyped, overrated product. But since it's steam and it's cheap, people are buying it like hot cakes.

I'm glad the other players in this industry survived, and I hope there's longevity in their success.

It's not really shilling - the Steam Deck is just a very smooth experience compared to others like GPD (I've owned one of these) and others. People can choose to buy it if the hardware is within their budget.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:55 PM, Empire said:

Yeah, it is interesting that people call the Aya Neo and the others "Steam Deck clones" when they came out first, but these people who have this weird loyalty to Steam tend to be slightly stupid, so it isn't a shock.

Still, the Steam Deck itself isn't without merit. The hardware is powerful and it's well priced It is a good option for PC gaming on the go. Whilst the having the name Steam written all over hasn't exactly hurt it's sales, that doesn't mean the people who bought it were misled or were ignorant of thier options.