Register Now
Kane99

Have you ever attempted to give your console a paintjob?

I've considered painting some of my consoles, but have never done it. The closest I ever got to something like this, was doing some graphics on the front cover of the original 360s that came out. You could remove the front face. I remember taking a permanent market and drawing a design, it wasn't particularly any good though lol. 

Anyway, I think it'd be cool to modify some classic consoles with a nice paint job. Has anyone here done paint jobs on their consoles? Did it work fine? I've seen some great paint jobs and mods. Some people would add in LED lighting to the consoles as an added bonus. 

Would you paint any of your consoles? Or would you rather they be as they were out of the factory? 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - not at all. Although it may not be all that difficult depending on the console. You just screw off the external plates, spray paint it and let it dry before back the external panels back on.

Oh for sure. I can't imagine it's tough to do really. It's more so to do with whether you should or not. I know collectors probably don't want to buy a custom painted console, unless maybe it was a fancy custom made one, but a general paint job on a retro console will probably bug collectors more than anything. 

I was thinking about painting one of my old 360s. I would only paint one if I had more than one console available to me. 

No. Although the modded Dreamcast I bought had a custom paintjob done to it. I wouldn't attempt doing anything like this myself. I don't like dis-assembling consoles and stuff, especially newer ones. I think most consoles look fine as-is  and a 'custom' paintjob isn't really needed in most cases. It's not something I would ever attempt myself, that's for sure.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, Kane99 said:

Oh for sure. I can't imagine it's tough to do really. It's more so to do with whether you should or not. I know collectors probably don't want to buy a custom painted console, unless maybe it was a fancy custom made one, but a general paint job on a retro console will probably bug collectors more than anything. 

I was thinking about painting one of my old 360s. I would only paint one if I had more than one console available to me. 

I mean, the external plates of some consoles are extremely difficult to re-attach after taking them off. If you're planning to make an older console a collector's item, I'd personally just leave as is.

I have not even thought about given anything tech wize any paint job 😜 I mean you can get a PC case and paint it yourself to whatever you wanted it to be, as long as it does not affect the cooling and whatnot. But I have not really did anything like that.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

I have not even thought about given anything tech wize any paint job 😜 I mean you can get a PC case and paint it yourself to whatever you wanted it to be, as long as it does not affect the cooling and whatnot. But I have not really did anything like that.

Me either - I mean, you could even Vinyl wrap it yourself if you wanted but I've never felt the need to do something like that.

No, this is not something I would ever risk doing myself. I do know that people do give their consoles paint jobs but a lot of them know what they are doing and know how to prevent any issues when working on their console and painting it. I just leave me as they are out of the factory and I am quite happy with that.