Register Now
killamch89

Gaming facts that are hilarious

Hear are some hilarious gaming facts that I didn't know:

1. The first video game ever made was called "Tennis for Two" and it was created in 1958 by physicist William Higinbotham. It was played on an oscilloscope and featured two dots as paddles.
  2. In the game "Minecraft," the default character skin is named "Steve" and was based on the game's creator Markus "Notch" Persson. However, in the game's recent update, the default skin was changed to "Alex," a female character.
  3. The game "World of Warcraft" is so popular in China that there are more players in the game than the entire population of the United Kingdom.
  4. The iconic "Game Over" message that appears when you lose all your lives in a game was originally inspired by a real-life incident. The designer of the game "Berzerk" died shortly after completing the game, and his name was added to the message as a tribute.
  5. The game "Pac-Man" was originally called "Puck-Man" in Japan, but the name was changed for its American release to avoid vandals changing the "P" to an "F" on arcade machines.

Do you have anymore you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Portal 2 was originally going to have no portals at all. Instead, it was going to use a game mechanic called "F-Stop", which would have involved taking pictures of the in-game world, and then using those pictures to create in-game objects.

The new mechanic received some positive feedback from playtesters - but everyone was disappointed with the absence of portals 😛 .

I honestly did not know that the very first game made was a tennis game. I do enjoy tennis games myself so I would be curious to see how this looked with it being the very first game to have been made. Technology has progressed so much since then so it would be great to compare if it was possible. 

14 hours ago, Shortie said:

I honestly did not know that the very first game made was a tennis game. I do enjoy tennis games myself so I would be curious to see how this looked with it being the very first game to have been made. Technology has progressed so much since then so it would be great to compare if it was possible. 

It was just Pong.

Final Fantasy is one. I took this from Wikipedia:

"Though often attributed to the company (Square) allegedly facing bankruptcy, Sakaguchi explained that the game was his personal last-ditch effort in the game industry and that its title, Final Fantasy, stemmed from his feelings at the time; had the game not sold well, he would have quit the business and gone back to college."

On 2/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, The Blackangel said:

It was just Pong.

"Though often attributed to the company (Square) allegedly facing bankruptcy, Sakaguchi explained that the game was his personal last-ditch effort in the game industry and that its title, Final Fantasy, stemmed from his feelings at the time; had the game not sold well, he would have quit the business and gone back to college."

How did I not realize LOL don't think I have played that but I have seen it myself played and also seen videos on it. Not sure if it was available on arcades as well it may have been if I remember.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, Kyng said:

Portal 2 was originally going to have no portals at all. Instead, it was going to use a game mechanic called "F-Stop", which would have involved taking pictures of the in-game world, and then using those pictures to create in-game objects.

The new mechanic received some positive feedback from playtesters - but everyone was disappointed with the absence of portals 😛 .

That's actually hilarious - a Portals game without portals? Wait What?!

On 2/17/2023 at 9:12 AM, The Blackangel said:

It was just Pong.

Yeah, I think most people knew how Final Fantasy came about.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:03 PM, Shortie said:

Me neither - I found that out about 2 years ago.

I wouldn't call it a hilarious one, but one that is fresh on my mind is how Super Mario Bros 3 re-used graphics. Like the clouds being re-used as grass. I'm sure a lot of games back then did the same thing, as it was easier to repurpose graphics for other needs. And it probably helped save space on the game. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:15 AM, The Blackangel said:

I know, but I still think it's funny.

Yeah you're right.

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I wouldn't call it a hilarious one, but one that is fresh on my mind is how Super Mario Bros 3 re-used graphics. Like the clouds being re-used as grass. I'm sure a lot of games back then did the same thing, as it was easier to repurpose graphics for other needs. And it probably helped save space on the game. 

It was a common practice in the earlier days of game development. It took a lot of work to create even the simplest of games so to save time and money, they'd re-use some graphical elements. Hell, it's still a common enough practice in modern game development.