Register Now
Kane99

Is E3 dead?

E3 used to be one of the premier events to see new upcoming games, devices and tech. But now days it's been dealing with cancelled events (mostly due to covid), but they are making a slight comeback. Sadly, with the recent news that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo were outright skipping out of E3, it made me wonder if E3 is even able to survive. Is E3 dead? Will E3 recover and just focus on showing video games and other such things? 

These days also, these companies are hosting their own reveal events, skipping E3 and other events outright. 

What can E3 do from here? Will they change into something different? Or will they try to keep showcasing gaming? 

It is such a shame that they had to cancel as much as they did due to COVID and I really feel like it did hit them pretty hard with so many top companies pulling out now that would normally end up being a huge part of it. Do I feel it can make a comeback? Possibly but at the moment, it is looking like it is dying which is a shame. I always looked forward to E3 every year and now it's just not there anymore or it is very minimal.

4 hours ago, Shortie said:

It is such a shame that they had to cancel as much as they did due to COVID and I really feel like it did hit them pretty hard with so many top companies pulling out now that would normally end up being a huge part of it. Do I feel it can make a comeback? Possibly but at the moment, it is looking like it is dying which is a shame. I always looked forward to E3 every year and now it's just not there anymore or it is very minimal.

This time around it wasn't Covid related, but it was more to do with all these companies not wanting to do these shows anymore. And now each of them have their own showcase events that they just air for cheaper on youtube. It probably saves them money in the process too. 

E3 kind of seems useless at this point, unless they go back to being a CES style show where guests can come in and see new games, devices etc. But I don't know if they will ever get back to the point where companies actually wanted to show up on their show. 

One reason I think they still need to happen is all about connecting to peers and fans and all the networking you can do on these exhibitions. Otherwise I feel developers and publishers will sit in their own bubbles and therefore the whole industry will get stale and invention-less. I never been to E3 and I see why I do not go as the cost for me

5 hours ago, Empire said:

One reason I think they still need to happen is all about connecting to peers and fans and all the networking you can do on these exhibitions. Otherwise I feel developers and publishers will sit in their own bubbles and therefore the whole industry will get stale and invention-less. I never been to E3 and I see why I do not go as the cost for me

They may have to go back to doing that. Being a show for the general public that is. I don't think they allowed the general public to attend E3 for like the past 10 years now. They might have to change that in order to keep it alive. They could always go to just a show where they have demos and maybe some reveals if they can get them. 

But E3 as the show we once knew, I don't think it'll ever be the same. 

2 hours ago, Empire said:

With what has been happening around the world that is a major factor and that has chnaged things, not just E3. Did they do E3 as a live stream once also.. I rather have a opening day at a location then stream ob Twitch. 

If I remember rightly I do believe they did have a live stream on Twitch over an opening day at a location which I thought was a shame. Many want to be able to attend these events and get involved with them and losing that meant that E3 and many other gaming conventions lost their spark that they once had. Would be nice to see it back but I don't think we see it happening any time soon. 

I'd like to see it become an open convention again. If they can't interest companies back, maybe change it to an event for gamers, maybe a place to meet developers, coders, etc. They could make it a celebration of the gamers too. Who knows what E3 will be in the next few years, they can try different things too. 

Just now, Kane99 said:

I'd like to see it become an open convention again. If they can't interest companies back, maybe change it to an event for gamers, maybe a place to meet developers, coders, etc. They could make it a celebration of the gamers too. Who knows what E3 will be in the next few years, they can try different things too. 

I actually like this idea - at one point, at least in the early 2000s, it was more gamer-oriented compared to what E3 is now which is a huge trailer reveal show.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:43 PM, Shortie said:

If I remember rightly I do believe they did have a live stream on Twitch over an opening day at a location which I thought was a shame. Many want to be able to attend these events and get involved with them and losing that meant that E3 and many other gaming conventions lost their spark that they once had. Would be nice to see it back but I don't think we see it happening any time soon. 

It's not the same being there but then again I tend to see far more on TV then you do being there, same with just about any even that shows on TV you know. Twitch is not the same as it was before...

On 2/27/2023 at 8:33 PM, killamch89 said:

I actually like this idea - at one point, at least in the early 2000s, it was more gamer-oriented compared to what E3 is now which is a huge trailer reveal show.

Exactly. And if that doesn't work for them, they can repackage it into some other gaming event. I think they're free to have fun with it and experiment with ideas. Could help draw attention back to them. 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:02 PM, Kane99 said:

Exactly. And if that doesn't work for them, they can repackage it into some other gaming event. I think they're free to have fun with it and experiment with ideas. Could help draw attention back to them. 

At this point, I'm not sure how'd they repackage it because there are so many other up and coming gaming conventions that'll make it obsolete. E3 is going to go the way of many once dominant brands because it lost its way.

I believe so, now most studios are just having their own events to release the games online or virtually, which saves them money and they can build their own hype just for their release vs. having to compete with others within the hour or week timeframe. 

Since a bunch of companies opted out of attending E3, it's been cancelled. I remember seeing footage of when E3 first became a event, it was a completely different time. I think Covid really had a impact on the event, sure there was one in 2021 but it was online. I don't think we'll see another E3 event at this point.