Register Now
Bizdustry

Ideal Amount of Time for Kids to Play Video Games

How much time should children be allowed to play video games? Does age or maturity factor in how much should be allowed?  Can this ultimately lead to an addiction and distract children from passing their exams during school or college? Let us know below, what you feel the ideal amount of time should be. 

I myself have four kids, one of them is now an adult and my daughter is also going to be an adult in October, I then have a 14 and 15 year old (going to be 16 in December) and I have always allowed them to play games as they tend to hang out with their friends online and play games such as Fortnite or even Apex Legends. 

I found that it helps them to relax and chill out after things such as school and college and they seem to feel a lot better for it being able to shut off in a game with their friends.

Many people feel that too much console time for kids can result in addiction which I believe can in some cases and it's always wise to monitor your kids time on consoles but I have found that my kids will head out, leave the console for a while and do other things and I haven't had to worry about the addiction side of it. 

My kids are also all doing well in school and both my two eldest children have completed school with great grades and have gone to college as well. The school my kids go to encourage kids to do what they enjoy in their spare time once they have completed homework and such as they realize it can benefit their mental health.

As long as they're getting their chores and homework done, then they should be able to play to their hearts content, however they still need to get exercise so I would encourage them to take a break for a good hour or two to get fresh air and stretch their legs. When I was a child, I was able to play as long as I wanted to and as long as I got all my chores and homework done but my parents also encouraged me to go out and hang out with friends. Game addiction is real, and you wouldn't want your kid to get addicted.

If they are done with all their homework/practice and etc. I'd say about an hour during the week, but on the weekend 3 hours would be acceptable. I think it is good to put a limit on it. If there is an event going on in the game - I might consider longer, or they may have to take a break first and do something else such as reading for a bit, but then can go back and play more once they take a break. I would want to create healthy habits for kids. They need to learn that staying stationary for long periods of time isn't the best. So as long as a break is had, reading, writing, another hobby for a bit, a walk, then they can return to it.