Register Now
Kennysplash

Can playing video games be a form of therapy?

No one has it all easy. At some points in our lives we face problems, stress, anxiety or depression. When we find ourselves in such situation we can use games to improve our reaction to such situations. 
Stress can be reduced when we engage in our favorite activities. Therefore playing your favorite games can relieve you to a considerable degree. 

Playing video games also improves mindfulness. So it can be a form of distraction from what you are going through. At least presently you live in the moment and enjoy it. 

Yes it can definitely be a form of therapy. If you're having an issue, and a certain game lets you express your issue at the time, it helps relieve some of that stress. For example, I have an explosive temper with no fuse to speak of, which has led to the rage disorder that I'm currently taking medication for. When I get to that point, I play Hatred because of the material. Your point in the game is to kill as many innocent civilians and law enforcement as possible. That's it. When I get angry to the point that I want to kill every person I see, I play the game. That's just one specific example. Another one would be that gaming is often an escape from the real world. You leave your stress behind you, and after a few hours, it's possibly that you could be just fine. It's not a guarantee, it's only a possibility.

There are dozens of ways gaming can be therapeutic. But it's pretty individualized and situation specific.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:36 AM, The Blackangel said:

Yes it can definitely be a form of therapy. If you're having an issue, and a certain game lets you express your issue at the time, it helps relieve some of that stress. For example, I have an explosive temper with no fuse to speak of, which has led to the rage disorder that I'm currently taking medication for. When I get to that point, I play Hatred because of the material. Your point in the game is to kill as many innocent civilians and law enforcement as possible. That's it. When I get angry to the point that I want to kill every person I see, I play the game. That's just one specific example. Another one would be that gaming is often an escape from the real world. You leave your stress behind you, and after a few hours, it's possibly that you could be just fine. It's not a guarantee, it's only a possibility.

There are dozens of ways gaming can be therapeutic. But it's pretty individualized and situation specific.

Civilians are not your enemy. Nazis are!!! Maybe you should play games that kill nazis. That would be better therapy. Because it is them that want to take your rights away, and even genocide the LGBTQ community. Stop looking at civilians as expendable. And start looking for an actual face of your hatred. 

Definitely! Some of the older titles I played like Wii Fit on Nintendo, allowed you to keep active and even play duo sports with a friend or family member. This was a form of therapy for me. But, no video game is not therapeutic, it depends on the individual 

As someone who suffers with depression and anxiety, I have found that playing video games and being involved in video games to the extent that I have has helped me a lot and still continues to help me now. 

Everyone is different though and because of that even though it may be the case for me, it may not be for someone else. 

On 11/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, The Blackangel said:

I suppose playing the game helps to reduce your anger? It’s wonderful that you found a way to work with that side of yours. 
Sometimes when I need to think critically and make a decision, I play Tetris. It refreshes my brain and allow me think effectively. 

On 12/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, isaiah990 said:
On 12/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, isaiah990 said:

I have mixed feelings about it. Games can help you reduce stress or increase it especially if its in the horror genre. It can be frustrating and agitating trying to find a way to progress. 

That is true as well. But what is the point in playing a game where you are stuck? There is this sense of achievement I get when I complete a mission or level. In that sense, if all had been going wrong the whole day that can help me feel better. 

Yes, playing video games can be a form of therapy. It can be used to improve mental health, cognitive abilities, and social skills. However, it is important to note that it should be used in conjunction with traditional therapy methods and under the guidance of a qualified professional.

3 hours ago, Debashis said:

Yes, playing video games can be a form of therapy. It can be used to improve mental health, cognitive abilities, and social skills. However, it is important to note that it should be used in conjunction with traditional therapy methods and under the guidance of a qualified professional.

So that what you are using as a therapy does not become another problem, that needs therapy. 😅

Have someone that you are accountable for or that guides you, it might not really work if you undergo it yourself. 

10 hours ago, Kennysplash said:

So that what you are using as a therapy does not become another problem, that needs therapy. 😅

Have someone that you are accountable for or that guides you, it might not really work if you undergo it yourself. 

Haha! Yes, having accountability and guidance while using video games as therapy is important to prevent it from becoming another issue that requires therapy. It is beneficial to have someone qualified to guide you in order to ensure that it is effective and not causing any harm.

Personally, I wouldn't really mind playing video games as a form of therapy. As long as what I was diagnosed with is said to be possible for it to be treated and managed with my playing of video games, I'm definitely going to interested in exploring that option. I don't see any wrong in giving it a string of trials.