Register Now
Kennysplash

Do you usually play games halfway and quit?

No doubt, everyone of us have those games that we just cannot push through to the end. We don’t feel it and we just move on to the next one quickly. 
But is it something you do often, that it has become consistent?
The only game I didn’t see to the end is NFS (most wanted). There are just a lot of missions and levels for a game that can be monotonous. Save for the multiplayer though. 

Do you have games that you quit halfway? Why?

Very few. I usually believe in playing it to the end of the main storyline/campaign. However, there are a few that I have gotten frustrated with or that started good but eventually bored me to tears.

Returnal is one of these. You get tired of dying and having to start the game all over. There are no saves.

Persona 5 was another one. I read such rave reviews about this RPG. I dedicated a lot of time to it, and then it just got redundant. 

The only game I can think of that I do like this is FF8, I play it to the third disc era, and then just go around collecting items, trying to get a full 100 of them all. The fourth disc era is so boring because you're doing nothing but making your way through Ultimecia's castle. That's it. It bores the ever living shit out if me. Also the bosses and Ultimecia herself are so damn easy to beat, it's ridiculous. So I give myself at least one last challenge.

I find myself doing this more often these days. I've started a good number of games, made it halfway through the games and put them down never to return to them. The latest one was Final Fantasy VIII, I started playing it at the end of 2022 when I was off work for a few weeks due to a shutdown. (It was somewhat Covid related, we just weren't getting enough orders at the time.) I picked up the game and played all the way until I was about to rescue Rinoa but I stopped playing and haven't picked it up since. I'm not sure why I haven't, I've been wanting to play through the entire game. I think I was under leveled and didn't want to grind.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:45 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I think I was under leveled and didn't want to grind.

Just go to either The Island Closest To Hell or The Island Closest To Heaven. The monsters there will level you up quick. I personally recommend going to Hell over Heaven. The monsters there are a better selection. Also the draw points there give you some of the best spells in the game and can make you virtually invincible if you draw a full 100 and junction them right. But you have to have the Ragnarok which means you will have had to save Rinoa first. Also if you go to the Elnoyle you can draw Pain from it which is one of the best spells in the game to junction to your ST-def.

How many GF's have you missed, and which ones were/are they?

Just to list them:
‡Shiva
Ifrit
‡Quezacotl
*Siren
‡Brothers
Diablos
*Carbuncle
*Leviathan
*Pandemona
*Cerberos
*Alexander
‡Doomtrain
‡‡Bahamut
‡‡Jumbo Cactuar
‡Tonberry King
‡‡Eden

‡ - GF's you can get any time. If there are two of them then you have to have the Ragnarok.
* - Gf's you have one chance to get until you reach Ultimecia's castle.
Ifrit isn't marked because he is the only GF in the game that you're required to get.

Not usually. Occasionally I’ll take an extended break from the video game if I can’t figure out to pass a certain stage. But if I gave up, it would frustrate me and make me think I’ve been defeated.

On 1/17/2024 at 5:08 PM, Bizdustry said:

Occasionally I’ll take an extended break from the video game if I can’t figure out to pass a certain stage.

This brought back a memory. On PS4 there was a game, where you entered this area and had to fight a house that came alive and at the same time a bunch of wild dogs were coming after you. The character you played was a girl. I can't remember what the name of the game was. But that boss fight was so difficult, I quit playing since I couldn't get past that point.

All the time, to be honest. I'll start a game and maybe not even play 1/4 of it and I'll just abandon the game soon after playing it. I only get attached to specific games it seems and don't branch out much and play different games. I try to play different games, but I always get stuck in my old habits of playing the same games over and over again.

On 1/17/2024 at 11:08 PM, Bizdustry said:

Not usually. Occasionally I’ll take an extended break from the video game if I can’t figure out to pass a certain stage. But if I gave up, it would frustrate me and make me think I’ve been defeated.

Well it’s that feeling that makes you play to the the end. For those of us that quit easily for every minor inconvenience we don’t really care, and it’s not really a great behavior. What is worse is, once I abandon a game I never go back to it. 

The main reason why I play video games is to have fun and enjoy myself. It's never about completing or quitting the game at any point. Whether I played the game half way and left it, as long as I had fun, it's all that matters.