Register Now
StaceyPowers

Side quests

Sometimes I hear people complain about endless side quests in games. What’s weird is that I usually seem to enjoy side quests more than main quest lines in many cases. I’m not sure why. Maybe they just have a “slice of life” quality in some cases that makes the world feel more real and lived-in. In any case, I’m not sure why folks complain about them as they can usually be skipped.

Do you like side quests?

Some people are very good with complain about just on anything even when it's their decision to get into such things or not. Side quest is a thing that can be ignored if you are not interested or play when you feel like. Personally, I don't have any problems with it at all. 

I often find that well made and rewarding side quests are an essential aspect to making an RPG feel complete. I liked Skyrim and Oblivion's side quests as they feel really organic and natural. As long as side quests are signposted well and the objectives are clear, I enjoy going off the beaten path from the main story to go on "my own" little adventure.

Side quests are great.  On that note though, I really like the way "Assassin's Creed: Odyssey" did them.  The quest givers had different icons and their where tiers to the side quests, please forgive my garbage memory but it was something to the effect of - trash level side quests had a white diamond over the quest giver. - ones that expired had a hourglass, - more worthwhile ones had gold diamonds or hourglasses.  But yeah all where optional.  The gold ones where usually really well thought out and involved.

I love playing side quests. Be it any game. Even the mobile. I tend to prefer those type of the games can be fun for the overall game titles. I have learned from my experience that if you want to keep gamers engaged you have to create such side quests and the tangent story lines. That always helps out retaining the gamers on the game. 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

I love playing side quests. Be it any game. Even the mobile. I tend to prefer those type of the games can be fun for the overall game titles. I have learned from my experience that if you want to keep gamers engaged you have to create such side quests and the tangent story lines. That always helps out retaining the gamers on the game. 

Exactly, and if the side quests are very fun and interesting, it's bound to get gamers to spend more time on it than the main game play. 

Lot of gaming companies are rebooting the 1 year old games by creating side quests and DLC. So they can get some of the sales again. And things just keep moving ahead for them. So side quests and additional levels or say DLC of some sort can be definitely helpful for anyone who is trying to sell his games. I personally think that there are many games out there who do that. 

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

Lot of gaming companies are rebooting the 1 year old games by creating side quests and DLC. So they can get some of the sales again. And things just keep moving ahead for them. So side quests and additional levels or say DLC of some sort can be definitely helpful for anyone who is trying to sell his games. I personally think that there are many games out there who do that. 

Exactly. Look at some many side quests in one my favorite games called Final Fantasy. It's making the company gain more new sales. Also with the issue of remake, it's also another amazing opportunity for them to resell the game all over again.