Register Now
Alexander.

Retro Consoles

Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Sega Genesis, Sears Home Gaming System, Game Boy.

As for a game list, I have over 100 games in my video library. And those aren't the only systems we own. My wife has a PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox 1S. I also have PS3. And somewhere around here we have a Wii, and Game Cube. We also have a Nintendo 3DS. GBA SP. There's something else we have, but I don't remember what it is.

I remember owning SEGA console purely for the gaming purpose. And the games were pretty nice like Contra, 1947 etc. I think SEGA at the end of 90s kind of lost it. But some of their old games and consoles were real fun and cheap too back then. 

Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Mega Drive, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Gamecube. I think we have a Lynx and an XBox but they don't work.
And if you count them as retro: we still got our Wii, PS3, Nintendo DS.

We got a good amount of games for most of the consoles. I don't know about their worth exactly but we're probably going to keep using them as we feel the crave for them.

Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Mega Drive, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Gamecube. I think we have a Lynx and an XBox but they don't work.
And if you count them as retro: we still got our Wii, PS3, Nintendo DS.

We got a good amount of games for most of the consoles. I don't know about their worth exactly but we're probably going to keep using them as we feel the crave for them.

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

Once the cloud gaming becomes the norm the old consoles will be in demand as antique pieces. That's what I have noticed so far with the consoles that need to be changed in near future that's what I think. 

There's a bit of a minority of us as classic gamers where the old systems are already in high demand. I've had offers for my Atari 2600 that have topped $200. Obviously I turned it down. I don't know how it is in other areas, but here it's next to impossible to find a working Atari that hasn't been modded.

Yes I can imagine the prices of those old consoles increasing. And like with each new update things would change for it. It's hard to see how things would change but retro consoles definitely would be expensive at this rate. 

On 5/29/2019 at 5:03 AM, skyfire said:

Yes I can imagine the prices of those old consoles increasing. And like with each new update things would change for it. It's hard to see how things would change but retro consoles definitely would be expensive at this rate. 

I dont think cloud gaming will be the future, at least thats not the future I would like, I would much rather purchase my game and keep it on my hard drive. (I'm not sure if i'm getting the cloud gaming concept right) .
Retro consoles will get more expensive with time I will agree on that but from my experience investing in an old console is not worth it, mainly because they tend to fail since they are quite old, besides emulators are more easy and cheap way of playing classic games.

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Retro consoles will get more expensive with time I will agree on that but from my experience investing in an old console is not worth it, mainly because they tend to fail since they are quite old, besides emulators are more easy and cheap way of playing classic games.

You do have the facts right, but there's one major thing you're forgetting. Nostalgia. For a lot of us, things like emulators and flashback consoles make us want to puke. We can't bring ourselves to play it unless it's the real thing. I grew up in the Atari 2600 and Colecovision era. I ended up getting the flashback for both systems as gifts a couple years ago. I can't even bring myself to open the boxes. They sit in my closet untouched. Nostalgia carries a lot more weight than a lot of people realize.

Edited by The Blackangel

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You do have the facts right, but there's one major thing you're forgetting. Nostalgia. For a lot of us, things like emulators and flashback consoles make us want to puke. We can't bring ourselves to play it unless it's the real thing. I grew up in the Atari 2600 and Colecovision era. I ended up getting the flashback for both systems as gifts a couple years ago. I can't even bring myself to open the boxes. They sit in my closet untouched. Nostalgia carries a lot more weight than a lot of people realize.

yeah for nostalgia o collectors retro consoles do have a great value, but if we think about it all hardware will end up being defective one day, I know that from experience ,somewhere back in my parents house there is a NES & SNES laying around. Retro consoles where made sturdier yes but they too have a limit and even those that work fine today sooner or later will stop working. Nostalgia is also very important for me thats why I have my modded Wii with most of my favorite NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii games, but I guess the games themselves are more important to me rather than the console itself or playing with the original hardware.

I still play my NES, SNES, & N64 regularly. None of them are modded, and they are the original actual systems. I have no problems as of yet, but you're right. They will break down eventually. The NES can be moody as hell, but that's to be expected from a 34 year old system. They were released in 1985 after all. But either way, I'm sticking to gaming that way.