Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you like realistic movement when walking, aiming, etc?

I keep studying why BioShock Infinite feels so immersive to me, and coming up with new tiny details to add to the list.

Last night I realized that when walking toward a static wall or railing, I can detect a very slight wobble in my field of view. It is very easy to miss consciously, but I can tell now that my hindbrain has always picked up on it, and it gives me a stronger sensation of walking on two feet and being in the world than if the movement were completely fluid.

I’ve noticed that in games where my gun is somewhat unsteady when I aim, as if I am breathing or my hand is not fully steady (I believe this happens in The Last of Us), I also get more of a sense that I am really in the moment in that location doing that activity.

For me, that sense of realism from gun wobbling or wobbling while I walk more than offsets the “annoying” aspects of those things, assuming that neither are so bad as to make the game unplayable. So I prefer them to be there.

What about you? Do you prefer these realism elements, or do you find them distracting or annoying?

@killamch89 @Alyxx @kingpotato @The Blackangel @DylanC @skyfire

I also like things like the subtle camera shakes when walking or doing any activity in first person as well in certain games but it depends on the degree to which it is done. There are some games that absolutely overdo it in that department to the point it becomes distracting. For example, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (horrid game all-round).

3 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I enjoy realism in first person games yeah. Though what I enjoy even more is being able to see my own body in first person, that immerses me even more.

Same here - I like looking down at my feet in first person for some reason. Maybe I have a foot fetish?...🤣

Realism can add to a game in some ways, and take away from it in others. Like in Zelda OoT, with the bow, Links breathing makes him move . He doesn't have perfect steadiness the way he does with the hookshot. And in FF8 the monsters seem to be able to actually think, especially the GF's that you have to fight to gain. If the NPC's and enemies act as an intelligent species with the ability to think, and aren't statues, then you have the necessary realism to make a great game. Early systems (Atari, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.) are an obvious exception as they didn't possess the capabilities for so much detail.