Register Now
StaceyPowers

Were You Ever Present When an Online Game Server Was Shut Down Forever?

There is a lot of discussion nowadays about online game servers being shut down permanently. As a lot of online games become older, support for them is being phased out, with only single player modes remaining (for those which have them).

I’ve only ever played a single game that had its server taken down forever, which was an old MUD called Orone.

I was actually there when the server was shut down. It didn’t seem like an amazing game, and I was only there a short time (maybe it was a couple of weeks). But what really put me out was that they pulled the cord a few hours earlier than they said they would. One of my friends and I were running around like crazy trying to accomplish as much as possible before the world ended, which was super fun and silly—and we felt quite cheated when they didn’t wait until the clock ran out.

Have you ever been online on a game server when it was shut down permanently? What was your experience like?

@skyfire @kingpotato @The Blackangel @killamch89 @DylanC @Executor Akamia @Alyxx

On 9/18/2019 at 9:12 PM, kingpotato said:

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on the view point) I have been in that situation, I do remember when lobbies for Gears 3 and Halo 3 started to slow down and most of the times they where empty.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, Alyxx said:

I haven't really been there just as the servers shut down but games I used to play a lot have died off and it's always sad.

Yeah, you're both right--that gradual decay is ultimately probably more depressing than the moment when the plug is pulled.