Register Now
m76

Ask m76

I'm not a super huge fan of creating my own topic, it feels kind of pretentious, but if those are the rules I'll bite the bullet.

I've been a gamer since I was 7 or 8 years old, I had every intention of working in game development.
I'm trained as a programmer, and when I was still intending to go into game dev, I experimented with a few game engines.
I've even written a kind of demo project. This experience gives me great insight into how software development works.

But in an unexpected course of events I never actually got a job in game development, and since I needed a job I got into another field. So my game dev career ended before it even started, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Still I have some friends who made it into various big studios. No I never did pry them for insider info, it would be wrong,

But I'm still a gamer, and what best shows my ongoing interest in games that I've started writing reviews for games for fun, which is still an ongoing hobby of mine, and over the years I have produced probably close to a hundred reviews.

So ask anything if you wish.

20 hours ago, Shagger said:

Any question? Any question at all and you shall answer? OK, here's my question. Given that god is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite...

... Would you like some toast?

Well, I don't adhere to your premise, so I can't give the answer you seek. As I think, all gods are man made, and while there are certainly a lot of them, they are not infinite. And it seems to me that the universe isn't infinite either. There might be an infinite number of universes though, but the jury is still out on that.

I never actually watched Red Dwarf, but it has been on my to watch list for the longest time.

Does that answer satisfy?

Edited by m76

16 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

You won the lotto and have your own studio up on the Swiss Alps. What one genre would you be making a game in? 

Can it not be somewhere else? I don't like cold places. Unfortunately I'm afraid these days the cost of game development is so high that one lottery win would not be enough to develop the game I want. But I digress, if I had the resources of jeff bezos, I'd make an immersive simulation. Or if you meant the fictional genre, it would be either contemporary or cyberpunk.

16 minutes ago, m76 said:

Well, I don't adhere to your premise, so I can't give the answer you seek. As I think, all gods are man made, and while there are certainly a lot of them, they are not infinite. And it seems to me that the universe isn't infinite either. There might be an infinite number of universes though, but the jury is still out on that.

I never actually watched Red Dwarf, but it has been on my to watch list for the longest time.

Does that answer satisfy?

Well, you didn't say if you wanted any toast, so... no.

2 hours ago, AndreiMirfi said:

Favorite games?

As far as games go that I played the most:

• DeusEx (2000) - This game should be obligatory to know for every game developer, it lays down the rules of game design 101 that every game should adhere to (sadly most does not, or only to a few of them) despite finishing it dozens of times, it still has secrets I'm yet to uncover.
  • Mass Effect 2 (2010)  - It is the most well rounded game I played, storytelling, gameplay, characters, it all comes together.
  • XCOM2 (2016) - it's addictive, I've played it over 1100 hours and counting. With mods I can go on forever probably. Since most encounters are procedurally generated it never gets repetitive. Despite the fact that I've probably restarted the campaign over 100 times.
  • Mafia: City of Lost Heaven (2002) - The game that brought together two of my favorite game genres, driving simulations and story driven action games.
  • BeamNG Drive (? - Still Early Access) - Sure it's hard to call this a game yet, but for me as far as I can remember crashing cars in spectacular ways was always fun in of itself, and currently this has the best and most realistic damage model of all available driving games.
  • Gran Turismo 4 (2004) - The best the series has ever been, sadly it's been all downhill since then, with sports being rock bottom

But there is another category of favorites, that I might only have played once, but that 10-20 hours was such a ride that I'd not have wanted to miss them at any cost. 

• The Last of Us Part II (2020) this is a very recent title but it quickly found its way to the top of my favorites.
  • Beyond: Two Souls (2013) The game itself might have been dreadful, but the story and the sense of control you had over the fates of characters made this a thrill, I actually feared for the well being of fictional characters in a game.
  • Alien Isolation (2014) - Fear itself, when it's not super scary, it's creepy, but danger always lurks around every corner, the atmosphere of this game is so ominous, that I think it beats the actual movie it is based on.
  • Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (2016) - It's only fitting that the most universally hated instalment of the series would be my favorite. The contrarian in me rejoices. Peace to the fallen - the only time an end credits made me cry.
  • Alpha Protocol (2010) - This is an objectively bad game, with serious flaws, but it gets some things right, that no other game did, it must be experienced at least once for this
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005) - This is more of an honourable mention, because this is to appreciate the whole Splinter Cell Franchise with all its lows and ups, but this is the best part of the  series so it gets on the list.
Edited by m76

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Where are you from?

Hungary, which is a small country in central europe. It used to be larger until we got screwed over in WWI. No other country had two thirds of its territory taken away and divided up among their historic enemies. Not even nazi germany.

We also got the short end of the stick in WWII, being East of Germany with no sea access we got "liberated" by the USSR.  In 1956 there was an uprising against the communist rulers, but the west stood by idly, they didn't offer any help, so the soviet tanks rolled in again an crushed the civil uprising in a few days. And the soviet army didn't leave until 1991, the fall of the soviet union. So basically the country was under military occupation until then.

5 hours ago, m76 said:

Hungary, which is a small country in central europe. It used to be larger until we got screwed over in WWI. No other country had two thirds of its territory taken away and divided up among their historic enemies. Not even nazi germany.

We also got the short end of the stick in WWII, being East of Germany with no sea access we got "liberated" by the USSR.  In 1956 there was an uprising against the communist rulers, but the west stood by idly, they didn't offer any help, so the soviet tanks rolled in again an crushed the civil uprising in a few days. And the soviet army didn't leave until 1991, the fall of the soviet union. So basically the country was under military occupation until then.

What is it like there in the present?

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

What is it like there in the present?

With the risk of painting a very bleak picture the facts are these:

We have some of the highest taxes that I know of. About 40% of your salary is taken as taxes. And there is a 27% VAT on most services and goods. So basically you get to spend about 40% of your earnings on actual things. Which wouldn't so bad if wages weren't about 1/5th of western countries while the prices of consumer products is actually higher in most cases.  The only thing that is more affordable here are utilities. In the US $7 / hour is considered unacceptable nowadays. Here that's considered a very decent wage. Most people earn less than that, even the average is lower than that, let alone the minimum.  That said we are still better off than most former member states of the USSR. (We were never a member state, just a thrall)

I don't want to sound like I hate everything here, I don't,