Register Now
StaceyPowers

Having to eat/sleep/etc. in video games: love it or loathe it?

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Some people did have toilets: https://www.ancient.eu/article/1239/toilets-in-a-medieval-castle/

Skyrim castles have no excuse.

Maybe they were cheap...Todd Howard that is XD

4 hours ago, m76 said:

Loved it in Fallout New Vegas, don't remember any other game doing it right. The sleep to levelup / eat to gain 2 points of HP implementation is worthless imho.

Especially if you can't sleep because enemies are attacking you, then what?

It depends on the context of the game, if being pushed to eat or sleep in a game that's based for example on mafia or some open world that's similar to GTA, then it would be hella annoying, at the end, you want to enjoy a game and not nolife a real life simulator

23 minutes ago, Shole said:

It depends in what game, for example Kenshi, Rust, and similar games based on survival I love it, it is fitting and helps a lot. But for other games that are not survival based it can be annoying.

I especially despise when it takes up a good amount of the ingame action. When you have to actively monitor it every second is when it becomes quite daunting.

23 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I especially despise when it takes up a good amount of the ingame action. When you have to actively monitor it every second is when it becomes quite daunting.

That is true, but that makes it sometimes fun. If rust didn't have a thirst and hunger system it would be boring for me.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Syntax said:

I can understand eating, but sleeping is more for saving than anything (unless it’s a game like Ark or so). It’s a cool aspect but I can see how people get annoyed fast 

The Sims is a testament to that - sometimes I get so frustrated with them that I trap them somewhere and allow the house to burn down with them lol.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:44 PM, StaceyPowers said:

@The Blackangel was mentioning the stress of feeding and caring for horses to keep them alive in RDR 2, and it got me thinking about how stressful it also is to me to play games that force me to eat and hydrate and sleep to stay alive on a particular schedule. I do kind of get the appeal from a realism standpoint, but it is distracting to me, and I already struggle with basic resource management (I'm not bad at it--it just gives me anxiety). What about you?

Some games requires utmost commitment from you in order to successfully play and complete it and such games are very time consuming and demanding. RDR2 is a great example of such games. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Some games requires utmost commitment from you in order to successfully play and complete it and such games are very time consuming and demanding. RDR2 is a great example of such games. 

To a extent, I disagree - games like SIMS and Second Life are literally life simulators and those games require tons of dedication to be successful.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:35 AM, killamch89 said:

To a extent, I disagree - games like SIMS and Second Life are literally life simulators and those games require tons of dedication to be successful.

Maybe you don't find RDR2 that demanding but I definitely do with it. I quite agree with you on SIMS being on the same levels too.