Register Now
StaceyPowers

Running around frantically in games

I was running frantically around in RDR Undead Nightmare last night trying to survive, which was stressful, but also super fun. I realized then that this is sometimes an element of gaming I really enjoy—a frantic, panicky rush around for survival. I think when this happens it reflects a combination of my own lack of skill along with how the developers made the game to be experienced in parts. Do you enjoy this type of game play?

Yes, you get a good experience that way. Many times I like things to be orderly cause maybe I might miss a treasure somewhere or whatever, but then-hey! forget that. I'm gonna go with it and run!!! Been having a good experience that way. Many times it will takes me somewhere else, and run some more, do some fighting, and man-how did I get here? Even if I know I can slay a beast, sometimes it's just fun to run and have it chase me. 

It depends on the occasion. For instance, when all your followers in Skyrim get killed in a Dragon Battle (mind you, my game is modded and the Dragons in my game are OP as the Elder Scrolls Lore) and there are multiple Dragons after you - I have no choice but to run. Sometimes I just run to the nearest city and use the townspeople and guards as a distraction (Dragonborn lives matter XD) and then I make my escape.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:29 AM, killamch89 said:

It depends on the occasion. For instance, when all your followers in Skyrim get killed in a Dragon Battle (mind you, my game is modded and the Dragons in my game are OP as the Elder Scrolls Lore) and there are multiple Dragons after you - I have no choice but to run. Sometimes I just run to the nearest city and use the townspeople and guards as a distraction (Dragonborn lives matter XD) and then I make my escape.

Seriously - Anything that helps you to survive in such situations is definitely a good option to consider. Why wouldn't I run, my own survival matters to me big time 😂

I've no strong feelings about it either way, but I do like how the developers of Disco Elysium have your companion mention how often you sprint around (at least two times in my playthrough), as a form of breaking-the-fourth-wall. It was a nice remark, the opposite of old Away dialogue when companions would comment on you not getting a move on!

On 12/18/2020 at 12:04 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I was running frantically around in RDR Undead Nightmare last night trying to survive, which was stressful, but also super fun. I realized then that this is sometimes an element of gaming I really enjoy—a frantic, panicky rush around for survival. I think when this happens it reflects a combination of my own lack of skill along with how the developers made the game to be experienced in parts. Do you enjoy this type of game play?

My experience with playing Ghost of Tsushima first was the exact same thing you experienced here. It got to a point where just running around was what I know how to do which was very funny. 

2 hours ago, Family sedan said:

In Twisted Metal games, sometimes I have to run around looking for health.  It really is desperation mode at that point.

If you are looking for health pack booster, it means that you're in the point of death if it eludes you further. Personally, I think it's the same with all games. 

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I've no strong feelings about it either way, but I do like how the developers of Disco Elysium have your companion mention how often you sprint around (at least two times in my playthrough), as a form of breaking-the-fourth-wall. It was a nice remark, the opposite of old Away dialogue when companions would comment on you not getting a move on!

That sounds awesome - I have a modded follower in Skyrim that's a berserker and every time I start running around in battle he's like "you're the dragonborn, quit running around and fight like one!". 

9 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That sounds awesome - I have a modded follower in Skyrim that's a berserker and every time I start running around in battle he's like "you're the dragonborn, quit running around and fight like one!". 

He does not know that your life depends on your running around and not minding that you're a Dragonborn. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

He does not know that your life depends on your running around and not minding that you're a Dragonborn. 

It's kinda the lore's fault. The Dragonborn is painted as this powerful demi-god (to be fair, that's how strong you are by the end of the game) that fears nothing and the modded follower is simply going off that.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's kinda the lore's fault. The Dragonborn is painted as this powerful demi-god (to be fair, that's how strong you are by the end of the game) that fears nothing and the modded follower is simply going off that.

Yeah - certainly by the end of the game the Dragonborn already possessed his full potential but at that moment, he's as killable as any common opponent.