Register Now
Kane99

Should I upgrade to SSDs and forget standard HDD's?

Currently my PC has a smaller SSD 500GB or so and a bigger 2TB HDD. My SSD is pretty much full up, so I've been using my 2TB HDD to save my games as of late. Which would you advise I save my games to? The SSD? or the HDD? I need to make room on my SSD if so. Or, I could look into buying another SSD. I'm just paranoid about the longevity of HDDs these days, as SSDs tend to last a lot longer. 

Get the SSD, because they load faster, last longer and make far better investment long term. The HDD can go bad at any random time and you really don't want to have to be dealing with that headache so the SSD makes far more sense. Besides, even if you buy a HDD now, you'll have to upgrade it in a few years anyways.

I have a 5TB of storage in my system, so 3TB of HDD and 2TB storage on my SSD 🙂 

Not all of my listed installed games are on my SSD, No need to have every single game on an SSD unless you have 5TB worth of storage that's all SSD 😛 that we all wish we had at times. If you read about the game it will say the recommandation, lately I have over ten games that says to install on SSD drive. 

HDD can last 5 years strong and at times longer at 10 years. If you look after the drives can last two life's. SSD can last as much longer but do not buy cheap. On my end, I use a 500GB SSD for my OS only with some things installed, 1TB HDD for videos/files and backup files to documents. 2TB HDD that's 7200rpm for most of my games and lastly and the best of them all my last 1TB SSD drive for other games and software that needs to be on a SSD, like flight sims.

All in all however M.2 drives is the way to go 🙂 

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

For next 5 years I am going to keep both the SSD and HDD. I have no plans on giving up the HDD because I have seen some of the SSDs dying pretty quickly this year. So not going to take huge risk like that. 

It depends on the brand of SSDs you buy as well because not all SSDs are made equal. SSDs from companies like Samsung, Sandisk and a few others are extremely reliable and won't fail you in at least 5 years.

My reasoning for going for SSDs for gaming is for the near instant load times in virtually all games, and still faster load times than a HDD for massive games and texture resolutions. I also have a 256GB SSD as a boot drive so Windows starts up and runs buttery smooth. So while I do prefer SSDs for speed, it really depends on how much money you think faster load times is worth. I can't speak to their durability, but I'd imagine they can handle a lot more wear and tear due to the lack of moving parts.