Register Now
Kane99

Will there be a Last of Us 3?

Naughty Dog was asked if they would do a sequel to TLOU2, but the way the game ended, I could see it being the end of the series. It wouldn't need a 3rd game. If anything, i feel a 3rd game would be overkill, as the stories we got, look to be closed. I don't think people will accept playing as Abby again, but I can see them being down with Ellie one more time. But, I don't think that will happen. If a 3rd game in the series is made, it will probably have to do a time jump into the future again. Maybe it can be a new set of characters, born into this world. 

Do you think a 3rd installment will happen? I mean, the first two games made a ton of money, and a 3rd will only continue that trend. 

I find your comment strange, as TLOU2 ended exactly like a setup for another sequel. They only said they are not planning any DLCs for TLOU2, not that they wouldn't make a 3rd game.

I personally wouldn't want to play as Ellie again. But as Abby any day. Or a new character. I'd love a game where you can choose from multiple characters, and it plays slightly differently depending on your choice. For example one of them is good at sneaking, the other is good at firearms, the third is a brawler, etc. 

I'd also be down for an RPG in the universe with a completely customizable character, but that's just not ND's style.

3 hours ago, m76 said:

I find your comment strange, as TLOU2 ended exactly like a setup for another sequel. They only said they are not planning any DLCs for TLOU2, not that they wouldn't make a 3rd game.

I personally wouldn't want to play as Ellie again. But as Abby any day. Or a new character. I'd love a game where you can choose from multiple characters, and it plays slightly differently depending on your choice. For example one of them is good at sneaking, the other is good at firearms, the third is a brawler, etc. 

I'd also be down for an RPG in the universe with a completely customizable character, but that's just not ND's style.

You covered almost everything that I was going to say but an RPG in the Last Of Us universe actually sounds interesting but as gamers we do dream of many other scenarios that are unlikely to happen.

I've not played the sequel so I can't comment on a direct sequel, but I could imagine The Last of Us will have its universe expanded. Perhaps we'll get a prequel showing more of what life was like during the opening act of the first game, or around the time of Joel & Ellie's exploits in another part of the US or even another country. As for genres, the list is endless. I'm sure people are still hungry for a The Walking Dead-esque adventure game, and I believe TLoU lends itself to that quite well.

People can speculate all they want about this, but it's really quite pointless. If, and it really is a big IF, Naughty Dog and sony want to make a third game they'll do exactly what the want with it and not pander to what other people's ideas or aspirations. Not to mention that @The Blackangel is crect topoint out that TLOU2 has only been out six months, thus a new game will likely be years away.