Register Now
Kane99

Will there ever be a Football game to compete with EA again?

Do you guys think we'll ever see another competitor to Madden NFL from EA? I have hopes of one day seeing a slew of Football games out again on the market, but with EA owning the license for now, for the simulation style of football, no one else can make NFL games in that style. 

Anyway, will EA ever drop the license and allow other studios to make NFL games? Or will we have to go back to NCAA or even stuff like All pro football 2K8? I just want something different. 

Edited by Kane99

I think EA has got license from the respective FIFA and ICC for soccer and cricket game rights. I think if anyone does make them they can't use the official player names without it. Small games can be made on the browser and the andorid or so. But full fledged games that use real player faces would invite legal issues IMO. 

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who buy EA Sports video games and people with an IQ high enough to actually spell IQ. Those games are made for idiots without any recognition that they're being exploited and are completely beyond help. A change in developer is not going to cure that. Those people like being exploited and the game company involved, whether it be EA or somebody else, would be more than happy to provide for them. So the short version of this answer is no, a change in developer would make no difference. 

Edited by Shagger

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Do you guys think we'll ever see another competitor to Madden NFL from EA?

Without equal or greater license-holding, no.

Let's say I wanted to make a Star Wars game. I can't without Disney and Electronic Arts' lawyers knocking on my door. That's understandable. However, what I can do is I can make something similar, but because it's not Star Wars it won't do anywhere near as well. It's the same with 2K with WWE or whoever's got the UFC license: for every twelve of those there's one Facebreaker. People don't want new brands they want to get to know; they want Christmas Ronaldino and all the other footballers from FIFA. The business of football has spent years building up a loyal fanbase that idolises its players, so it's only natural that pay off in the games they star in.

Anyway, will EA ever drop the license and allow other studios to make NFL games?

Not willingly. Publishers like EA and the legal eagles of the football empire make too much money to change the mutual benefit.

What it would take is ordinary players and the big spenders (I'd rather not resort to using the dehumanising terms of publishers by calling them 'whales') to stop buying them. That's a near impossible expectation because they don't care about the industry as much as you or I do, so the cycle will continue.

The best thing you can do is keep an eye out for news of Kickstarters or other means of funding others' dream soccer games and do what you can to support them.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think EA has got license from the respective FIFA and ICC for soccer and cricket game rights. I think if anyone does make them they can't use the official player names without it. Small games can be made on the browser and the andorid or so. But full fledged games that use real player faces would invite legal issues IMO. 

I don't know about that, as you still have PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) from Konami that still seems to come out yearly. I don't think EA owns any other licenses aside from the NFL. But I could be wrong. 

6 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Without equal or greater license-holding, no.

Let's say I wanted to make a Star Wars game. I can't without Disney and Electronic Arts' lawyers knocking on my door. That's understandable. However, what I can do is I can make something similar, but because it's not Star Wars it won't do anywhere near as well. It's the same with 2K with WWE or whoever's got the UFC license: for every twelve of those there's one Facebreaker. People don't want new brands they want to get to know; they want Christmas Ronaldino and all the other footballers from FIFA. The business of football has spent years building up a loyal fanbase that idolises its players, so it's only natural that pay off in the games they star in.

Not willingly. Publishers like EA and the legal eagles of the football empire make too much money to change the mutual benefit.

What it would take is ordinary players and the big spenders (I'd rather not resort to using the dehumanising terms of publishers by calling them 'whales') to stop buying them. That's a near impossible expectation because they don't care about the industry as much as you or I do, so the cycle will continue.

The best thing you can do is keep an eye out for news of Kickstarters or other means of funding others' dream soccer games and do what you can to support them.

Oh of course, I'm mainly referring to a possible football game, without the NFL license. But, I should note, that EA has the license to make simulation style NFL games. There was talk a while back, that 2K was actually working on arcade and mobile NFL games. Which means we could see another game from 2K. Sadly, this means we'd get an arcade like game over a sim game, so it wouldn't be as realistic to Madden. Madden at this point, has become an arcade game anyway. 

Anyway, I would welcome a new football game, minus the NFL license. I just want something I can fully customize to what I want. Let people make the NFL teams if they want, like All Pro Football 2K8 did in some regards. I could see it working really well. 

Whichever company tries to make a competitor to Madden will have an uphill battle because the licensing fees to use the individual teams' branding costs in the millions and most game manufacturers can't afford that per year. If they can overcome that and actually put out a bug-free game, they can win over some Madden fans but then you'll always have the die-hearted fanboys (I despise these lot) who'll try to defend EA.

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't know about that, as you still have PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) from Konami that still seems to come out yearly. I don't think EA owns any other licenses aside from the NFL. But I could be wrong. 

17 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

You can make generic games but you don't get to use the names of tournaments and the use of the players imagery from what I heard. That is what covered in the license. which I guess is one reason you can make generic soccer games but not FIFA as is. 

16 hours ago, skyfire said:

You can make generic games but you don't get to use the names of tournaments and the use of the players imagery from what I heard. That is what covered in the license. which I guess is one reason you can make generic soccer games but not FIFA as is. 

Yeah that's the terms of the agreement. Or you can do like PES and create the game and patch them in after release which kind of circumvents the licensing agreement although PES does have some huge team's licenses to be fair.