Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with happy endings?

Devil May Cry 4 had somewhat of a happy ending but I agree that most of my favorite games have really tragic endings. Another one is the original Metal Gear Solid when Solid defeated Liquid snake  and Solid Snake rode off on a snowmobile with Maryl into the sunset.

Tragic ending is one thing, but I take issue with endings that reveal all your efforts through the entire game as pointless.

I literally can't name any game from recent times that has a completely flawless happy ending. There is always some tragedy involved. And older games I don't remember well enough if they had a truly happy ending or not.

22 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Example?

Examples include

With spoilers in small:

Bioshock - The player character must've known that he is being mind controlled, yet this is kept from the player to the very end, hence all your efforts are pointless

Bioshock Infinite - Same again, Comstock and Booker being the same person is kept from the player for the sake of a cheap twist reveal at the end. again rendering the whole journey pointless

FarCry 5 - You have literally one task to get joseph seed, yet in the end only he survives, not even just survives, but gets the better of you

Max Payne3 - You literally fail in all your tasks in this game, everyone you tried to protect dies, and in the end "you are not making any difference" direct quote from the game

CyberPunk 2077 - You cannot win, you work your ass off in the game to save your character's life, but you can't, in all variations of the ending you die slowly, quickly, painlessly, or painfully, but die nonetheless. It's insulting, and the game even rubs it in your face that you don't deserve a happy ending.

Edited by m76

50 minutes ago, m76 said:

Examples include

With spoilers in small:

Bioshock - The player character must've known that he is being mind controlled, yet this is kept from the player to the very end, hence all your efforts are pointless

Bioshock Infinite - Same again, Comstock and Booker being the same person is kept from the player for the sake of a cheap twist reveal at the end. again rendering the whole journey pointless

You have a lot of control in BioShock though, and can completely alter the ending of the game (and you can win).

With BioShock Infinite, I actually guessed at the "twist" the first time Comstock talked to Booker. And if not for the twist, the entire game wouldn't make a lot of sense, being as there would be no other explanation for why Columbia is Booker's own personal hell that is utterly specific to his life story. The journey didn't feel pointless to me at all, but a battle through that hell for redemption.

9 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

You have a lot of control in BioShock though, and can completely alter the ending of the game (and you can win).

With BioShock Infinite, I actually guessed at the "twist" the first time Comstock talked to Booker. And if not for the twist, the entire game wouldn't make a lot of sense, being as there would be no other explanation for why Columbia is Booker's own personal hell that is utterly specific to his life story. The journey didn't feel pointless to me at all, but a battle through that hell for redemption.

That is exactly my point about Bioshock Infinite: The story doesn't make any sense without the twist, because it is completely subservient to it. The plot twist is not the saviour of the story, it's the root cause of all of its problems. The game feeds you nonsense for 10 hours then at the end gives you a pill for it. I won't thank them for that, damn them to hell and their game.

And with Bioshock the player character should know about the twist from the very beginning of the game. I hate it when games keep you in the dark about things that are known to the player character. It's a very cheap plot device, one I do not appreciate one bit.

Edited by m76

Saw the other post with this question for movies, was curious what people had for video games. For me it's or has to be Halo Reach series, FIrst one in mind that I liked that game a fair bit, thought it did the thing it was aiming for really well. Was unfortunate six was effectively killed for sure, but would've ruined the impact if he wasn't.

BF3 has a crap story and ended BADLY, shocking for that game story. 

8 hours ago, m76 said:

That is exactly my point about Bioshock Infinite: The story doesn't make any sense without the twist, because it is completely subservient to it. The plot twist is not the saviour of the story, it's the root cause of all of its problems. The game feeds you nonsense for 10 hours then at the end gives you a pill for it. I won't thank them for that, damn them to hell and their game.

And with Bioshock the player character should know about the twist from the very beginning of the game. I hate it when games keep you in the dark about things that are known to the player character. It's a very cheap plot device, one I do not appreciate one bit.

I didn't think the twist was really a "twist" though; it just was the story. This was a story about a guy who did a lot of shitty things, tried to worm his way out of responsibility through fundamentalist conversion, and found that doing that only made it worse. Booker didn't know what was going on at all until the end of the game. He was as confused as the player (more so, in my case, since I was pretty sure I knew what was up).

I felt the structure of this story was parallel to that of Spec Ops: The Line, which also makes no sense until you get to the end and find out what the player character has really been up to. And in that story, Walker also didn't know. Both of these characters were soldiers with PTSD, but their memory suppression happened via different means.

25 minutes ago, Alexander. said:

It's tricky to define a happy ending because the word "happy" is different, depending on the person. I would probably say Skyrim. The reason being is, because you make your own ending, the ball is in your court. 

Skyrim's ending actually makes me anxious, because I feel like no matter what side you choose in the civil war, the Aldmeri Dominion is likely going to take over.

13 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I felt the structure of this story was parallel to that of Spec Ops: The Line, which also makes no sense until you get to the end and find out what the player character has really been up to. And in that story, Walker also didn't know. Both of these characters were soldiers with PTSD, but their memory suppression happened via different means.

Yeah many people rave about spec ops the line, I've tried it once and concluded after about 10 minutes that it's definitely not for me. I don't even remember why I Abandoned it, but I did nonetheless.