Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you like game characters sharing their inner monologue aloud?

It depends on the context. I hate it when it is used as a handholding device for the player. Like I've seen games where if you went just slightly off the beaten path the voice instantly started complaining.

Tell tale series: Tales from the Borderlands.

It's not actually an internal monologue but they retell their stories of the past up until we get to the point that it meets up to the present and continue on the story. they give comments, feed backs, jokes and even reflects on the decision our characters made (more likely our decision).

Spec-Ops: The Line. also not an internal monologue type but, well, just play it and see. IMO, one of the best plot twists ever. it's like portraying on how a soldier see things. in a way (not really, but it's somewhere like that)

The only game I can think of that I play where the character shared their inner monologue out loud is RDR2. Arthur often speaks in his own mind when writing in his journal, and the game plays his thoughts as audio. I find that an insight to his heart, as well as his mind.

Another game that I have played where you can see the inner monologue, would be FF8, but obviously you have to read it as the characters didn't actually speak.

Castlevania SOTN does a little bit but not much. It's only when you fight a major boss (Richter, Death, Dracula,etc.) or encounter Maria.

Edited by The Blackangel

26 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The only game I can think of that I play where the character shared their inner monologue out loud is RDR2. Arthur often speaks in his own mind when writing in his journal, and the game plays his thoughts as audio. I find that an insight to his heart, as well as his mind.

Another game that I have played where you can see the inner monologue, would be FF8, but obviously you have to read it as the characters didn't actually speak.

Castlevania SOTN does a little bit but not much. It's only when you fight a major boss (Richter, Death, Dracula,etc.) or encounter Maria.

Yeah, Arthur in RDR2 is a very good example with characters that are explicit with their thoughts expression in monologue while the show it's on. 

28 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

As for what's obtained in Final Fantasy 8, when it's not voiced out, as you had to read it through, I'm not sure if I would call it monologue. 

Edited by Heatman