Register Now
Kane99

Amazon's new CEO says they're not done with video games

Well that's a change of pace for Amazon. Didn't they recently close a studio or something? Maybe I'm thinking of another company. Anyway, Amazon's new CEO, Andy Jassy said they plan to continue with their attempt to produce video games, as they feel they can make it happen if they just hang in there. 

I don't know if Amazon will succeed in the gaming market, but I'm interested to see if they prove me wrong. 

You can read about this here - The Verge

Gaming is a huge part of people and they know that they will make so mucj money from gaming. But then comes down to what games they do, crap will be a down as RIP. Andy Jassy won't let this stop, I mean he wants to impress Jeff Bezos 😛 

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

I’ll be curious on if they can make a AAA title game or not. With the funding they have they should easily be able to..

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) funding doesn't equal talent and quality, which is sadly not fully synonymous with 'AAA'. Amazon can easily fund high graphical and aural fidelity, marketing and future content, I'll concede that. But that doesn't count for anything if their games aren't good. Of the two known inspiring names to look forward to seeing in trailers or interviews one of them has left for Electronic Arts, and their other talent has no known experience besides Far Cry, System Shock, and Amazon's own games' frequent delays and cancellations.

On the other hand, look at how well Amazon is doing with Amazon Originals TV shows. They're proving ample competition to Netfix and co., so their talent scouting abilities aren't all that bad.

Like Google shutting down their studio, I don't think Amazon's gaming division's dead and I think they can make a so-called AAA game if we're going solely by budget. I won't say 'I'll eat my hat if they make a AAA game' because the most wrong I've ever been was with Fortnite's success "shoehorning a mode into an unknown game too late".

I too am curious. Much as I dislike Amazon, I'm still keeping my eye on what their possible success means for the gaming landscape going forward.

Edited by Withywarlock

14 hours ago, Shole said:

Well they will try to expend in any business they can, but will they be able to make a lot of good games? Maybe if they buy out indi devs companies.

So far they are yet to even land one success in gaming and the game studios. I'd say overall Amazon game studios would take some time for working properly in this space.