Register Now
Kane99

Do you wait until after early access to get a game?

Oftentimes I find early access to be a lot cheaper then waiting for the full release, but the problem there, is that you're stuck with this game until updates are made. And there's a chance you could play the full game, and lose your save at some point, or you get stuck on game breaking glitch and have to restart *cough* Layers of fear *cough*. 

So, I've decided to never get an early access game, or buy into it right away. I've been screwed over too many times with early access releases, so I'm going to wait until full release for future games from now on. 

But what is your preference? Are you cool paying less to get a half finished game? I understand the point is to help development and such, and that's totally cool. But for me, I want to be able to play the game when I buy it, so if it's not finished, I'll simply skip early access and just wait. 

I have over five games on steam that are still in early access 🙂 Just that games and most devsjust tends to be in early access for months to years. Does it make them cheaper? well if a game is been early access for five years at £25 then no.

Eco, Great games, out two years and it's still early access. Point saying that they become early access for YEARS. way to long. Golf With Your Friends is a great game that was released back six years ago has been in early access for the same amount of time and price is the same. 

On 2/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, Kane99 said:

I've been screwed over too many times with early access releases, so I'm going to wait until full release for future games from now on. 

Seriously, this is one of the biggest challenges with getting games at this stage and it's why most gamers prefer to wait. 

7 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I wait for full releases and reviews before deciding to buy a game or not because companies may have the game in "early access" but you don't know what direction it'll take until they fully release the game.

It's actually what's with EA and Ubisoft. They have screws gamers so much they don't trust their early access. 

I've just about given up trying to hold out on Early Access, and many practices I've rallied against in the past. I've got my eyes on Baldur's Gate III, and while my opinions on Larian Studios aren't as overwhelmingly positive as others', I've got a D&D video game itch to scratch and that would do it nicely. The same with Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. If it sucks, I'm too pooped to care at this stage.

This isn't to say I'll buy early access games willy-nilly, it's just that I'm far more likely to buy it for what it is than what it will be.

Edited by Withywarlock

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm far more likely to buy it for what it is than what it will be.

I really think that this is actually the best way to buy any game's early access without the feeling of being robbed in the end.