Register Now
StaceyPowers

What breaks immersion most for you in games?

Other players....But seriously I barely even notice the difference between TPS and FPS nowadays.

1. What is bound to break my immersion is bullet sponge enemies and unrealistic physics.

2. Interactive hud/map elements, like objectives and waypoint markers, or damage numbers flying off of enemies or health bars hovering above them.

3. When puzzles or obstacles are designed in such a way in games that they are impossible to defeat without trial and error.
But for immersion you must assume your character only has one life, so puzzles that cannot be figured out otherwise make no sense.

Edited by m76

That's a good question cause we can find some interesting differences here if enough people answer it. For me, I find 3rd person to be pretty immersive in games with scenery. The problem with first person I have is that it gives me a headache pretty quick. The reason is that in first person, the camera moves fast and there is a lot of drag and blur. If I were moving slow indoors in a horror game, 1st person is more immersive. I can put myself there easily. Outdoors, it doesn't work as well. I'm always looking all over the place. In third person, as long as the character has a natural flow and the environment looks realistic, or fantastical, I find it very immersive.

Too many quest details written all over the screen, focal points, gear/weapon display, corner map, just plain clutter on the screen breaks immersion right away. 

When a doofus nut follows me around in a quest breaks it every time. 

Games that allow treasure hunting in story dialogs breaks the immersion of the story.