Register Now
StaceyPowers

Oblivion: Anyone else find these gates super tedious?

Yes and no. On the one hand there was no other big repeatable activity in the previous games, so Oblivion gates can be excused to an extent. They also don't interfere with NPCs, bug out or fly away but keep you in combat like Skyrim's dragons, so that's good too. On the other hand they are tedious after a while, especially if you're playing the game for the first time and don't realise there's such things as optional gates and mandatory gates, such as the ones outside of each province.

Were it not for the fact that so many of them are required to progress, I'd enjoy doing them because the rewards within are so great and the Sigil Stone at the end is a very nice reward.

On 3/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Withywarlock said:

Yes and no. On the one hand there was no other big repeatable activity in the previous games, so Oblivion gates can be excused to an extent. They also don't interfere with NPCs, bug out or fly away but keep you in combat like Skyrim's dragons, so that's good too. On the other hand they are tedious after a while, especially if you're playing the game for the first time and don't realise there's such things as optional gates and mandatory gates, such as the ones outside of each province.

Were it not for the fact that so many of them are required to progress, I'd enjoy doing them because the rewards within are so great and the Sigil Stone at the end is a very nice reward.

I haven't figured out yet what to do with the Sigil Stones. what are they for?

24 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

They're like weapon/armour enchantments. I think if you click on them, they'll open up a menu of the items you can use them on, and then you can apply a new effect to them. Here's a full list of what they can do. ^^

I never even thought to click on them =D Thank you!

Edited by StaceyPowers

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I never even thought to click on them =D Thank you!

Aye, you either click on the stone or there's a button that says enchant/use sigil stone on the item you want to change the properties of. I'm not sure which, it's been years since I last played it. ^^

The gate theme is interesting the first few times. Then, thanks to autoleveling, it turns into a boring, but complex monotony. On the other hand, I know many who prefer to leave the main quest for later, when the character is at a high level. It's more fun for them to play as magicians.