Register Now
StaceyPowers

What boss behaviors/abilities peeve you the most?

Omega weapon in Final Fantasy 8 is infuriating and you can kill it with Selphie's special which has an ability called the end which instantly kills it. Ozma from Final Fantasy IX is also really infuriating because it'll adapt its tactics to your setup so you'll always be damaged by your weakness. 

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

(not sure what that’s called)

In WoW that would be called an 'add fight', due to the additional enemies (adds). But yeah, it's not particularly fun when a boss is made invincible but I guess devs don't want people cheesing it? I've always felt minions should make reaching a beatable boss more difficult, not impossible. That's one of the things I like about Dark Souls, that even in a fight as annoying as the Capra Demon, who's only flanked by two dogs, he can still take damage if you hit him.

As for me, I really don't like stunlocking, but when it becomes a chain of stuns that just kill me I can't be bothered. The Surge is dire for this, and it happens in the first boss encounter which I'm not best pleased with. That first boss, PAX I think it's called, will leap away, and fire rockets at you which knock you down.... and then fire another barrage that will kill you, because there's no way to increase your maximum health greatly enough to survive that unless you grind unhealthy amounts of the starter zone you're in. I've since beat it, but not without the cost of health that comes with trying to reach the boss before it uses its rockets.

One last one to mention is when it's not obvious that a fight is supposed to be lost, and you waste resources trying to survive it. These fights are best left for the beginning of the game to set an expectation or develop a tone, but not in the middle of the game where I'm simply following familiar pattern recognition.

What makes me mad is when they can go into a state where they can't be damaged. Like going out of your reach or raising some magic barrier out of nowhere.

Another thing that drives me to a nervous breakdown is when it has a health bar, but when it runs out it refills and it becomes harder to hurt. Just make the freaking health bar three times longer then, but don't gaslight me with a fake health bar.

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

but when it becomes a chain of stuns that just kill me I can't be bothered

YES, I detest that. That stunning nonsense is why I hate those gloom wraiths in Oblivion. Sometimes they manage to knock me down repeatedly and I can't even get up to move out of the way, and then I am dead.

46 minutes ago, m76 said:

Just make the freaking health bar three times longer then, but don't gaslight me with a fake health bar

Hahahah, well said. Gaslight bars.