Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gamer impostor syndrome

Sometimes I meet people I wouldn’t hesitate to call “gamers” who have a hard time calling themselves such for various reasons, i.e. “But I only play one game all the time,” or “I don’t play new games.” I almost feel like this reminds me of “impostor syndrome.” Does anyone here feel like they have a sort of gamer impostor syndrome?

Gamers fall under all kinds of categories with all kinds of playing habits, that it tends to get confusing to define gamers from impostors. In my opinion, impostors are the ones that pretend to like a certain popular games but have never played them before and don't have a clue about them. Also, there are those gamers that get into gaming to gain fame on social media, they don't actually care about games but they love the clout - those people are also impostors in my eyes. Gamers who like particular games isn't all that uncommon - not everyone is like me who plays all kinds of games whether old or new. That's just my unique gaming habit.

I've tried not to call myself a "gamer" for years in an attempt to differentiate from the "Capital G gamers", preferring games enthusiast. Because on the one hand everyone's an [x]er just by doing [x] activity, but then on the other hand, what's to 'seperate' one gamer from another? I suppose I do still care about the identity enough to gatekeep by saying "you're not an enthusiast because you don't do [x], [y] and [z]" but they can still be a gamer.

Truer words will not be spoken when I say "I just don't know anymore." 🤣

16 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Sometimes I meet people I wouldn’t hesitate to call “gamers” who have a hard time calling themselves such for various reasons, i.e. “But I only play one game all the time,” or “I don’t play new games.” I almost feel like this reminds me of “impostor syndrome.” Does anyone here feel like they have a sort of gamer impostor syndrome?

There are some particular games that I keep playing over and over again no minding how many years I have played it. But it doesn't really stop me from playing new games if I find it interesting. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Whoever says Playstation 3 is a new game console probably didn't play Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo, Super Nintendo and SEGA versions. 

Seriously? I've played those systems with the exception of Neo Geo, and I will say it again. The PS3 is too new to be considered retro, old school, or classic. Why? Because it's simply not in any way retro, old school, or classic.

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Seriously? I've played those systems with the exception of Neo Geo, and I will say it again. The PS3 is too new to be considered retro, old school, or classic. Why? Because it's simply not in any way retro, old school, or classic.

Exactly - when I read the PS3 quote in connection to old games, I was like is it the PS3 console of yesterday that only 2 console (PS4 and PS5) are ahead of.