Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are video gamers (sometimes) narcissistic?

I was reading this post about whether video games encourage narcissism: https://sites.psu.edu/passionblogrmoussa/2015/09/17/do-video-games-encourage-narcissism/

I do see plenty of narcissistic behaviour among gamers, but I'm not sure gaming seems inherently narcissistic to me. Actually, if anything, playing in a world that exists "just for me" In the moment I am playing feels oddly humbling, and makes me want to interact with every small detail to appreciate others' hard work.

Do you see a link between gaming and narcissism?

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Oh I totally see narcissistic behaviour among gamers all the time, I dare say they seem to be narcissists most of the time!  Maybe it's a little unfair to point the fingers at just gamers for it, it's a pretty common thing in general these days.

I totally agree - trust me, I've dealt with my fair share of narcissistic people in many MMOs. It's one of the main reasons that online gameplay is so annoying at times.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I totally agree - trust me, I've dealt with my fair share of narcissistic people in many MMOs. It's one of the main reasons that online gameplay is so annoying at times.

Yup. Most of the MMO games are full of such players. I am afraid, I could also become one like them ever. But yeah, they are really annoying. 😆

Seriously - anything is possible when you get to mix up with different people from all over the world. There are so many twisted people in the world that are just looking any silly reason to show what they are made of and being a narcissist isn't off the table as well. 

13 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Yup. Most of the MMO games are full of such players. I am afraid, I could also become one like them ever. But yeah, they are really annoying. 😆

The most I ever do in MMOs is troll everybody but I find that even my worst trolling attempts can't even come close to these narcissistic people.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The most I ever do in MMOs is troll everybody but I find that even my worst trolling attempts can't even come close to these narcissistic people.

You're definitely a troublemaker 😂. Keep on trolling and one day some of those narcissistic people would take it very personal. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

You're definitely a troublemaker 😂. Keep on trolling and one day some of those narcissistic people would take it very personal. 

Lol. I am sure he can't reach the level of those extreme narcissistic gamers that I have come across. They are so annoying, they will never listen to what you say. They are simply happy with their own little cocoon. 😆

11 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Lol. I am sure he can't reach the level of those extreme narcissistic gamers that I have come across. They are so annoying, they will never listen to what you say. They are simply happy with their own little cocoon. 😆

Yeah - That's a cold fact about how those narcissistic gamers behave like as if every single damn thing revolves around them. 

22 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - That's a cold fact about how those narcissistic gamers behave like as if every single damn thing revolves around them. 

Haha. 😆 When I feel someone is trying to exaggerate things about themselves, I just simply ignore them. I know I can't argue with such narcissistic people. Better I should save my energy and invest in some positive things. 😆

10 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

Haha. 😆 When I feel someone is trying to exaggerate things about themselves, I just simply ignore them. I know I can't argue with such narcissistic people. Better I should save my energy and invest in some positive things. 😆

Well, everything I do with these narcissistic gamers depends on the kind of mood I'm in when they kick in with their shit and if I'm in a pissed off mood, they'd hate the conversation. 

Edited by Heatman

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, everything I do with these narcissistic gamers depends on the kind of mood I'm in when they kick in with their shit and if I'm in a pissed off mood, they'd hate the conversation. 

😆 That's tit for tat.

I can assure you, There's no better way than just to leave them the way they are. Such people will never get the point, no matter how hard or harshly you try to prove it to them. It's best to avoid them. 

11 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

😆 That's tit for tat.

I can assure you, There's no better way than just to leave them the way they are. Such people will never get the point, no matter how hard or harshly you try to prove it to them. It's best to avoid them. 

Yeah - Actually avoiding them seems to be the best working sane strategy to deal with them.